1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

relapse

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Vedra, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

I'm starting on Day 1 again having had a relapse with severe upper back pain (spasms, increasing in severity, which I describe to myself as a sensation of a thick towel being wrung by an unseen agency.)which I can only live with by taking fairly strong painkillers, taking a hot shower, lying on a hot water bottle, walking and muttering to myself while clutching my back muscles while waiting for two hours until the painkillers take effect. These same painkillers keep me awake for five hours so must be judiciously timed. If I stop the tablets the pain comes back after one or two days, probably because I expect it to! I've read Dr Sarno's book two or three times but the fear of pain returning and the desire not to become dependent on painkillers has driven me to start the educational programme over again. I am even beginning to fear the painkillers. I have not stopped exercising and living an active life but at the moment could not do this without the drugs.
    All of this has been repressed so I'm using the forum to offload; I've never described these feeling to anybody, but do write in a diary, but just say I've got a bad back because if I talk about pain it comes back and people ask 'How's your back?' constantly or regale me with stories of friends' miracle cures. I've visited most of them and I know there's nothing physically wrong with me.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Vedra,

Welcome back to the Forum. I am glad you're reengaging the materials.

I suggest that it is very helpful to maintain your active life, even with the painkillers. As your understanding goes deeper, you'll likely not need the medicine as much.

It seems you understand a lot about TMS, and this is very helpful in your recovery. I suppose you've checked out Alan Gordon's program (s) as well at the Wiki?

Best to You,

Andy

3. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

Thanks for your response, Andy. I'm grateful for the encouragement to continue maintaining my active life, especially in the face of people warning against putting too much strain on joints etc. Their advice is well meaning, I know. I have looked at Alan Gordon's programme and am trying to work through his suggestions as well as the structured material on the wiki. I found Dr Schubiner's lectures on you tube helpful also.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Vedra, welcome, and I echo Andy's response. I've also found a lot of continuing inspiration in a couple of podcasts, which are easy to listen to as you're getting ready in the morning or perhaps while commuting. One of them even features an interview with Andy! I posted this recently:

And here's a podcast for you which might be useful: The Mind And Fitness Podcast by Eddy Lindenstein. On #85 a few weeks ago he got to interview the wonderful Dr. Howard Schubiner who is seriously studying TMS and TMS recovery techniques in combination with the latest neuroscientific information. Once you listen to that episode, try these two: Dan Buglio (#70) and Andy Bayliss (#65). Also, you can't go wrong listening to his three shows with Nicole Sachs, LCSW (#10, #37&38) and he's also interviewed Dr. David Hanscom (back surgeon turned mindbody advocate), Steve Ozanich (twice) and a bunch of other TMS luminaries - all with their own unique take on this condition we call TMS, in honor of Dr. Sarno's original theories about the mindbody connection.
    I also recommend Nicole Sach's podcast, The Cure For Chronic Pain With Nicole Sachs LCSW. Just start with #1 and keep going.

5. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

Thanks, Jan, for all the information about podcasts. I'm hoping that the mantra 'knowledge is power' will help me on the journey. It was Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain which began my quest for information and I'm willing to follow any lead inspired by him, but realise that I must take an active part in my recovery.
    Thanks again.