1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Recommended reading to introduce concept to a 15 year-old?

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Nor, May 28, 2012.

1. Nor

Nor New Member

Hi All,
    New to this forum but a long-time follower of Sarno. My 15 y.o. son has anxiety/depression issues as well as sinus and GI symptoms which are medically undiagnosed. Pretty sure the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree here. He's open to the idea of TMS but really would benefit from some independent reading vs. hearing it from Mom. Any suggestions for this age?

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya Nor and Welcome to the wiki,

Youth, just like anyone else, can develop TMS so introducing your son to this topic makes sense. In terms of what books would be good, I tend to like the Mindbody Prescription, but something like They Can't Find Anything Wrong may be helpful because it is written by a Gatroentologist, Dave Clarke. I would also recommend directing him to some of the success stories. I connected a lot more to people's personal stories then I did to one of the books. I felt I could relate to them and I saw a lot of myself in those stories.

Best,

Forest

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Nor:

Welcome to our forum! I agree with what Forest said, but before you launch him on a TMS journey, why don't you consult a doctor to rule things out? Depression and anxiety can be corrected with medication which might be helpful while he's learning about his TMS issues. I have been on anxiety medication for years, and sometimes forget to take it because I don't need it. This to me is a good sign!

If he truly is depressed, then having him properly diagnosed before trying to get him into a TSM program might be a good idea. He'll have a better idea of why he is "in the hole" and have a desire to stay "out of the hole" without medication. Just a thought. We like to rule out all potential medical issues first then move on to TMS therapy, reading the book that Forest suggested etc.

You are most likely right as you're his mom - and moms tend to know us best. But hearing it from a professional might help him to understand that he's got (if he's depressed) a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication isn't a life sentence, but it sure can help for a few months to stabalize and see where we've been. Like "the hole" as I referred to it when I was depressed years ago. I was on an anti-depressant for only a month. Started exercising and the doctor took me back off of it. It was a relief to be back to my old self again. And all I needed was a boost out of the hole!

Good luck to him -

BG

4. Nor

Nor New Member

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I should be more clear. He's been to docs about the sinus and GI sx's. We took him to a therapist as well. No depression diagnosis - just "tendencies towards anxiety". We could definately be more thorough in that department though.

Thx again.
    Nor

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

After thinking about this a little more, a good place to start out could be reading through the stories at www.thankyoudrsarno.org. This is the website where we placed people's thank you letters to Dr. sarno, and it is really inspriring to read through all of the stories. It may be easier for him to connect to these stories then to reading a book. It was for me anyways.

Beach-Girl likes this.