1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Really tiny success story

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by blake, Jun 27, 2014.

1. blake

blake Well known member

Hi,
    Thought I'd share a small personal victory. Today, I went back to spin class for the first time in two years. It's a big deal for me because I had stopped going due of my neck pain. At the time, I was convinced this type of exercise was making it worse. Plus, it was a whole new group of people at a new gym, so it felt very intimidating.

It took me three tries to go. I had cancelled two times before. The takeaway for me is that it's ok to not do things perfectly (like I said, I cancelled twice before having the courage to go) and it's also ok to feel uncomfortable, vulnerable and shy about doing new things.

I'm so glad I went. Not only was it fun, it has also given more proof that my pain is due to tms, since the activity had no impact on the pain, one way or another.

2. Becca

Becca Well known member

YAY!! Congrats!! tiphata
    WOW. I'd say this is way more than a "really tiny success." A LOT of people, TMSers and non-TMSers alike, really struggle with this. I certainly do (any pointers? ;)). So don't sell yourself short - that's a freakin' amazing mindset, one that I'm sure will serve you quite well as you kick TMS to the curb!

3. blake

blake Well known member

Thanks guys!
    Here is how I felt during the activity.

At first I felt really small and scared. I saw other people coming into the class and they appeared to be so cool, collected and together. At that point I felt really inadequate, and my stomach hurt. But I just stayed with the feeling. I even started feeling a little bit ok about the yucky feeling being there. Then, at one point, the feeling left and it was like I was a kid having fun at something, not really worried about what people are thinking. This part was new to me and really wonderful. I think it has to do with the letter writing I've been doing to my inner critic. I won't go as far as to say I felt like I belonged there completely, but I did feel pretty ok.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Congrats, blake! That's really wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing with us :)

blake likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is awesome blake, I found out through exercise that my emotions was the culprit. You have made a great leap, you have faced a fear and did what you wanted to do anyway. It doesn't matter that it takes several times to finally muster the strength, the important thing is you did it. Congratulations my friend. This will be the first of many, many more success. I love it, keep us posted.
    Bless you

blake likes this.