1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ready to say, “screw it” and take pain meds

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Plum I think you are so wise. A glass of wine, a warm blanket and a funny movie always help. Getting out and saying the hell with it all. Coming to the realization that this can't be a forced healing with a timeframe. Just enjoy what's left of life. Maybe that is the secret of those that live to be 100 ! Look at Bob Hope (what a great name).

tgirl, starseed, plum and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

I've made tremendous progress in the last few weeks with my TMS. I was already progressing somewhat, but I came to realize fear was at a very basic level the root of all of this. When I listed out my fears, including the the FEAR of the TMS pain, and decided I would no longer fear these things, healing began. Of course I relapsed because I started fearing the pain again. I had already dealt with the suppressed anger, negative self talk, etc. I felt emotionally healed and was wondering why things weren't progressing more.

Another significant factor for me was the postings reposted here from Ace1. His theory that piggybacks on top of Dr. Sarnos about the central nervous system being sensitized or triggered seems to be very true. One thing he points out is to not be in a hurry to do things. I was doing that for practically no reason. I'm taking the self imposed time limit on tasks I do. Things will be what they will be. I started meditating, and I didn't know what to do with my hands during those moments. I could actually feel the tension, and now I feel it lessening.

What I can tell you is that your goal in my opinion is not worry about things. It's not normal to worry the amount most of us TMS sufferers do. We don't even know what normal is anymore because we've been this way for so long. You are stuck inside your own head. Now that I'm say 75% healed I have zero anxiety, ok maybe 1%. Haven't been like this in probably 20 years.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that once you identify these things, which I don't know if they are the same for everyone, you can commit to changing your reactions, your fixations, your anxiety, etc. Once you get RESULTS from this the TMS pain seems kinda silly. You'll get less fixated, and it seems to be a domino effect of healing. It may not be linear like day by day, but your mind should naturally move onto to more positive thoughts. That's NORMAL. We enjoy thinking about hobbies, activities, people we care about. I think that is why the emotional side needs to be addressed initially. It's not normal to fixate so much on negative things. I would be surprised if anyone had TMS and healed from it that did not suffer from anxiety and/or depression to some extent.

My TMS symptom is RSI like pain in my hands, and I just typed this all out in a few minutes. I've been working on healing the TMS pain for a little over 2 months. You can't focus on the pain and removing it. You need to get emotionally healthy enough and confident enough that you know you can ignore the pain, remind yourself it's not going to cause damage, and then continue to remove your fears and anxiety.

Ellen, EileenS, MindBodyPT and 4 others like this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I completely agree Jules. This is a new name for something which "medicine cannot otherwise explain," just like all the other names for what we know is TMS. based on list of familiar symptoms. You have TMS plain and simple. Don't scare yourself! Do what you like about TMS, but please don't lay some other, worse diagnosis on your already worried self.

Lizzy and plum like this.
  4. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Googling anything healthwise is a road to ruin...!;) I just googled central nervous disfunction and found that there's a zillion different 'disorders' there. It said some were not curable and it said that some were curable....! It said about 'fibromyalgia' - 'Fibromyalgia is the second most common rheumatic disorder behind osteoarthritis and, though still widely misunderstood, is now considered to be a lifelong central nervous system disorder, which is responsible for amplified pain that shoots through the body in those who suffer from it.' LIFELONG - Hell NO!!!!
    I had so called 'fibromyalgia' for 22 years - and 'yes' i was told it was incurable, and 'yes' i tried everything medical, alternative, legal and illegal to get rid of it....:mad:
    But - it was, is and always will be TMS - and TMS comes in so many different packages.... It is curable, but if you try too hard it takes longer....:(
    The trick is being kind to yourself so that you do the steps you need, but not at the expense of your psyche - do the work whilst trying not to do the work too well....
    Try not to be obsessive - whilst trying to concentrate... Like trying to walk a tightrope - whilst compiling your shopping list - difficult but not impossible!dancea

tgirl, Lizzy, Ellen and 5 others like this.
  5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I have been in the same position for years and I can't not get my brain to agree with all the Tms work..I am ready to take something even to make my quality of life better ..I really understand where you are coming from