1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Reactions to current stressors influenced by our past

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

“Again, the responses to terror are manifold: some rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic, others whistle a happy tune, and then there are those people who fortify themselves with drugs or alcohol, while others develop TMS.”
    -- Dr. Eric Sherman

Everyone reacts to external stressors differently, and it is important to realize that it is our past that influences how we react to these stressors. Some people will take immediate action, some will try to flee the situation, while others are so consumed by fear they simply continue to rearrange the deck chairs. Once we understand how our past affects our current reactions, we can begin to limit the influence past experiences have and overcome TMS.

We will be exploring this theme during this coming Saturday’s discussion group, when we also will cover two short sections in Pathways to Pain Relief, titled “TMS as an Adaptation to Stress” and “External Stressors vs. Childhood Experience.” As usual, the discussion will start at 2 PM and run until 3 PM (ET). Connection details can be found at www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Saturday_TMS_Book_Discussion_Group .

eric watson likes this.
  2. Forest

Just a quick reminder that we'll be talking about this during the call-in discussion group tomorrow, Saturday April 6th, starting at 2PM ET. If you're free, I encourage you to drop by!

Quick connection details:
    If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 646 583 7415 and when prompted enter the pin code 21558901.​
    If you're connecting via your computer, go to www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions there.​

For more info & detailed connection instructions, click here. I hope to see you there!

eric watson likes this.
  3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, I think all the reactions to terror that you list from Dr Sherman are typical of situations where you still have freedom of action. The Titanic hasn't actually sunk yet. It's easy to forget that the ultimate reaction to absolute terror is for the human metabolism to shut down and stop processing food and finally to stop breathing. This is what happened at Stalingrad where the German soldiers just started dieing in droves for apparently no real reason. The horror they experienced beggars the imagination. It's important to remember that when we get TMS we still have plenty of space to heal ourselves and get on with our lives. TMS, as I see it, is like an early warning system that gives us a chance of correcting fundamental psycho-physical issues that would lead to something far worse if we didn't fix them. According to this essentially optimistic view, TMS is something left over from our early survival instincts that signals us that it's time for us to change our approach to life if we want to go on living. What's that Dr Sarno says about TMS actually being a "gift"?

eric watson likes this.
  4. Forest

You are so right that TMS exists to try to tell us something. It is both a distraction and signal that we need to bring our attention back to our emotions. Understanding that TMS is, in its own unique way, a gift can really help how we view our symptoms. Personally, I know that I have grown so much since learning about TMS, and do think of it has really increased my self-awareness.

Bruce, you brought up some other great points during the discussion group. For those of you who couldn’t attend, here’s the recording of the discussion. You can also download the recording as an mp3 by right-clicking on this link and saving it to your computer.

cherrybomb, eric watson and plum like this.
  5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what important points I brought up during the Call-In Discussion Group. But, luckily, Forest, you did record the whole meeting, so others can play it back and listen again. What's that Freud said about "unconscious intentionality"? Maybe the most important points I make are those I can't remember!

Forest likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This was awesome forest and bruce and all you guys that helped it come together, true wisdom
    and love, with hope and encouragement- I love it, thanks guys for allowing me to be part in this learning and healing process
    Its Awesome

Forest likes this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This was brilliant. I don't know where to start in thanking you all. It's also exactly what I needed to hear, just love it when life delivers wisdom in the moment. Pain be damned. This feels like an adventure and finally I feel that I possess the requisite tools and knowledge to face the demons, the depressions, the fears. You guys rock.

eric watson likes this.
  8. Forest

It is all about learning what the tools are, and then, and this is vital, taking action with those tools. TMS education should always lead directly to action, and that is one thing that I really liked that you mentioned that. Want to know something else? You Rock Plum!