1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Re book: 'The Untethered Soul' by Michael A. Singer

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BloodMoon, Jan 5, 2020.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

I'm reading book at the moment, which is 'hitting the spot' for me like a sledgehammer - in a good and amazingly profound way (tbh like no other 'self-help' type of book has resonated with me before). It's called 'The Untethered Soul' by Michael A. Singer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untethered...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ENC2AFA4HE5REGRNYWWN.

My response to this book may just be that the right 'teacher' (the author of the book) has appeared when I (the 'student') was ready, but I think the 4.7 star rating for amazon reviews probably speaks for itself. I was dubious about it at first as I read that there is mention of God in the book and I am an agnostic, but the references are made in a 'spirit/energy/life force' sort of way. I actually bought the audio course associated with the book and listened to that first of all. I'm in the UK and the following link is the audio course on amazon.co.uk, but I bought it from i-tunes as it's a fraction of the price when downloaded from there https://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Place-Surrender-Untethered-Action/dp/B07XQM8FJ5/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1578172425&refinements=p_27:Michael+Singer&s=books&sr=1-3&text=Michael+Singer.

Michael Singer also has some videos on YouTube too, so anyone interested can simply get a taster of what he has to offer for free https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=michael+singer (michael singer - YouTube)

A Good and Happy New Year to you all!

Namaste,

BloodMoon

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Katya, plum and jokeysmurf like this.
  2. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

This is a great book, I read his previous book called The Surrender Experiment. I feel it says what took me a while to realize, that we oscillate between being open and closed. When we’re open we are curious and inviting, when we’re closed we’re cut off and tightly wound. In terms of the nervous system this is true, and perhaps we are giving off types of energy that can either benefit us or prolong our difficulty.

plum and BloodMoon like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@BloodMoon I have left you a comment on an earlier post about this x

This is a great endorsement. The sense of opening and closing really speaks to me. Thank you x

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. BloodMoon

The book is also about what to do re our chattering 'monkey mind'. A reviewer of the book on this website https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/520672779 (John Woltjer’s review of The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself) says:
    "He [Michael Singer] calls the monkey mind our "inner roommate" that quite often borders on pure insanity. He invites us to imagine the monkey mind as a roommate, sitting next to us on the couch, and asking us to consider how long this roommate would be allowed to live with us when considering just how obnoxious and pestilent it can be. What becomes quite obvious is that we live with a crazy person in our head that torments us with persistent, meaningless, repetitive dialogues that ultimately blind us to what is truly real--the world behind all the stimulus in our heads. This is a brilliant book--just reading the praises written by many prominent people at the beginning of the book gives the reader a sense of just how profound the truths within are."

jokeysmurf likes this.
  5. jokeysmurf

Yes, Michael, Eckhart, Mingyur and others have all stated this very well. It always helps to hear this put just slightly different by each because in its slight variance it helps reach more and more people.

an old saying from my culture translated is “it is not important to be “first” but rather to understand how to arrive.”

great post on Michael @ Blood Moon

Katya and BloodMoon like this.
  6. BloodMoon

So very well put, jokeysmurf!

Thanks, jokeysmurf :). I have been so taken with the way Michael explains things, I simply couldn't keep his writings to myself and wanted to share.

jokeysmurf likes this.
  7. BloodMoon

Just thought I'd bump this thread up to let anyone who's interested know that Michael Singer's now brought out a guided journal based on his book 'The Untethered Soul'. The first 53 pages of the guided journal can be viewed on google books, if anyone would like to see them (just click the picture of the book if the pages don't automatically appear) https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZK7xDwAAQBAJ&source=gbs_book_other_versions (The Untethered Soul Guided Journal) (Of note is that a number of 'bad' reviews of this 'guided journal' on amazon are to do with the kindle version not being 'user friendly' and not do with the content of it -- The publisher took notice of this and, when I last looked, the kindle version was no longer available.)

I found Michael Singer's original book 'The Untethered Soul' spoke to me when I read it, but I wasn't disciplined enough to remember its wisdom and apply it in my daily life. I've just started using the 'guided journal' though and am finding it good - for regular daily contemplation, even if I don't write anything down.

Best;
    BloodMoon

Katya, Cap'n Spanky and backhand like this.
  8. kitcooper

kitcooper Newcomer

I'm also a huge fan of Untethered Soul and the quality of the perspective it dishes out. After reading the book and thinking a lot about the concepts, I have a few questions I have not been able to figure out. Would love to hear if someone has any good insights on these topics. Here goes:

1. I'm totally clear on how our thoughts are not who we are. But is the mind not a clear reflection of who we are in many scenarios? I.e. I think about an upcoming trip to New York and start thinking about how I want to spend my time there. Is this not me, a thought process completely generated by me versus the ongoing chatter mind? Would be helpful if Singer offered more nuance here to help me lean more into the overall concepts. Thoughts?

2. Personality, enjoying the dichotomies and even contradictions in life. The people I like to spend the most time around have some personality. What is the separation between what I see as their personality and their "mind"? And what does that say about us subjugating our minds as a player but not a chief? I do believe we should play boss mode over our minds to some extent -- for sure -- but where is the nuance here? Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    NNava likes this.
  9. NNava

NNava New Member

I just started reading this book last night,. Your questions sound interesting and i look forward to reading this book and will do my best to remember to come back and respond in some way to what you're pondering. But at the same time I can see myself in you with the questions you ask so I may not be of much help,. Ha!

10. jokeysmurf

I took the difference of ourself and our mind to be a few things. One is that the mind is capable of both planning, tangible and imagination and scary horrible things. Some of those things are true and some are not. So by definition those things that are not true are also not us.

We have random noise coming in and our as well. If you recall Deacartes saying "I think therefore I am" is to fully believe everything you think including noise, horrible thoughts, worry, problems etc. This belief system is strong and can create many illnesses in people including Hypochondria. It separates the body from the mind and you exist only as a mind and that isn't balance.

This is my version of this explanation if someone who can elaborate better would like to chime in please do so.

For me meditation has allowed me to see how I am not my thoughts. It takes practice and notice.

11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Katya and backhand like this.