1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Rage/Soothe Ratio

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stock Trader, May 16, 2013.

1. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

What is the meaning of the rage/sooth ratio from your perspective? And how does it help you defeat TMS?

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The Rage/Sooth ratio can come into play in a number of different ways. When I read Mindbody Prescription, I tend to view what Dr. Sarno is talking about as, sometimes in life when we have a signficant amount of stress and tension going on our level of unconscious rage increases and boils over to a point where we develop TMS. In some of these situations, learning to reduce stress and tension can help sooth our unconscious and reduce our level of rage. In practice, I think this involves understanding how much anxiety and tension you build up in your body every day, and where it goes. Then you can find ways to reduce your stress.

I do think that a lot of the soothing that comes with TMS involves simply understanding that our symptoms are benign. Knowledge is the penicillin for this disorder. A lot of own worry and anxiety was generated from thinking there was something wrong with me. Accepting the diagnosis and realizing that I was not damaged really helped me to reduce my fear and turn the Rage/Sooth Ratio more towards sooth.

eric watson likes this.
  3. Lori

Lori Well known member

I take rage/soothe ratio to mean we need to have soothing things to counter the rage we face. This means finding pleasures in life. No matter how simple it may seem. A walk in nature, enjoying time with family (not those who stress us!), vacation (after the hassle of flying there!), resting after a long day at work. Finding your BLISS and making time for it! Very very important. Things we truly enjoy and which put us in a happy mood.

What is your life's enjoyment?? Large and small things. We NEED these things to balance the everyday stressors we face! :)

Leslie and eric watson like this.