1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Questions from a desperate beginner! Help needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Insomniac333, May 24, 2017.

1. Insomniac333

Insomniac333 Newcomer

Hello everyone! I will try to keep this as short as possible. Since early October 2016 i've had chronic pain in most of my body starting in my limbs ( mainly in my wrists and hands), then moving on to other parts of my body such as my groin (which has easily been the hardest to deal with). The pain consists mainly of sharp sensations but shifts to burning ones aswell. I've had countless of different in depth examinations done on me all of which have come out squeaky clean. Pretty much all the doctors i've been in contact with have told me that there is most likely a psychological reason for the pain, which makes me quite certain that i'm dealing with TMS. Now for the questions.

1. How does someone with chronic pain go about implementing Sarno's techniques? To clarify, in his book i could only find examples (as far as i remember) of patients with pain that only lasted for example 30 minutes a day, to where they would set aside those 30 minutes to deal with their emotional issues. Sounds like a good idea but to someone who experiences the pain every second i’m awake how do i go about ‘’thinking psychologically at all times’’? Also what should i repeat to myself, in order to fully convince myself that i have TMS? As 2 or 3 lines doesn’t seem enough in my case.

2. Currently in my life i basically have very little obligations and an insane amount of free time to which i mostly just sit at my computer. Having basically nothing to do makes it very hard for me to ignore the pain, but when i actually manage to ignore it then the pain becomes bearable(more proof for TMS in my mind.) Anyways how would i go about ignoring the pain, as someone who doesn’t really have anything to occupy myself with?

3. In the book it’s emphasized that it’s conditioning that is the one of the main reasons for the pain, and in order to stop experiencing the pain the cycle has to be stopped. But my pain doesn’t come and go so how would i go about reconditioning myself in this case? Again to clarify the pain subsists no matter if i stand, run, jogg, lay down it is always there so how do i recondition that?

If these questions have been asked before feel free just to copy/paste any relevant link/post. Thank you so much for reading.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

First lets address your monicker "Insomniac333", do a "search" for "BBC segmented sleep"--one problem down.

Next, chronic pain is often called fibro by the "allopaths"--that's one "dis-ease" in "moderne med" that embraces psychosomatic causes for chronic pain. It maybe overwhelms the docs so much that they can't handle it and correctly castigate it to "mental"--Dr. Sarno says fibro is TMS..

Your mantra should be "All my doctors say its psychological!!!". You are very fortunate and ahead of the medial/industrial complex that they haven't taken you down the structural path to totally empty your wallet and start cutting you.

"Dr. Sarno's 12 DAILY REMINDERS" should be your other mantras--they are in his books and you can do a search here.

There--that should keep you busy for a while--after reviewing those, get out of the house and start walking.

When you come back from your walk, start reading all the "SUCCESS STORIES" here, and at the other TMS site.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Here is a list of Dr. Sarno's practices, in an article by Forest, who runs this site. This will give you specifics, although Tom has given you a good start. All the questions and anxiety are normal. Begin to observe your doubts, fears, need for specific guidance and see all of this as "fear." Fear is a bigger distraction than the pain. Inquire into "what feelings might my fear be distracting me from in this moment?"

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/section-1-introduction.4628/#post-28646 (Official Thread - Section 1 Introduction)

Also recommend you spend a few days exploring this:

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program (TMS Recovery Program)

Insomniac333 and Rinkey like this.