1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Question to ponder

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lz123, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Lz123

Lz123 Peer Supporter

What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind?

One doctor told me he has had tennis elbow for 5 years and it still hasn't healed/gone away. Another doctor told me I should be happy that at least stuff isn't falling out of my hands and that I should just go to physical therapy again (which did nothing for me).

The second thing made me feel worse than the first. I felt like no one takes my pain seriously and I felt helpless. But, it also made me question if a neurologist doesn't think I'm a serious case, why do I insist I am? It made me think about the possibility that my pain really was psychosomatic

Doctors didn't really cause much nocebo in me. It was mostly reading about RSI online which caused most of the fear.

Sofa likes this.
  2. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Tennis elbow for 5 years.. You need a new racquet! Just kidding; that sounds frustrating. You should maybe just TOTALLY rest it from all activities for a week or two. Probably, you’ve already tried that. That’s what worked for me though.

In response to your question, I had a doc tell me after several visits “I’m out of suggestions….When you do get it figured out can you let me know what it is, so I can help people in the future?” (That's why I'm hard at work trying to develop a System)
    Well, at least he was honest I guess. Maybe that wasn't the most frustrating thing I've been told.