1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about being tired

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stranger, Nov 27, 2012.

1. stranger

stranger New Member

Hi guys

Hope you're all doing well

Since I've become 80-90% pain free, something else has occured: I'm being tired. I'am constantly tired and in the need of relaxing and sleeping, and it gets worse each and every day (believe me; its not like the TMS pain I had, but I'am being curious now)

Could it be all the stress that has accumulated inside me, manifesting itself as tiredness? Or is there another explanation?

Best Regards!

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a known TMS equivalent. I notice the same thing as my lower lumbar and sciatic pain subside that I have this sort of "mellow feeling" that is akin to laziness. I would think the fatigue you're experiencing is an example of symptom substitution where your TMS pain is being replaced with CFS. I see from reading Edward Shorter's history of psychosomatic illness, From Paralysis to Fatigue, that ennui and tiredness are two time-worn psychogenic symptoms that have been associated with somatization since at least back to the 18th century. I suspect the tiredness you mention could be the result of a biochemical change going on in your brain as you rid yourself of TMS. I notice that as my TMS pain subsides that I no longer seem to have that obsessive-compulsive personality traits that I had while suffering with my TMS pain that seemed to make me think about it day in and day out. I no longer seem to be compelled to be doing something all the time. Laziness? I was told at the chat last Saturday that Howard Schubiner has done some work on other bio-chemical factors that coincide with the development of TMS, which Dr Sarno explains to due to the ANS (Autonomic Nervous System) decreasing oxygen flow to the nerves, tendons and ligaments. Perhaps some more knowledgeable person could give you more information about how TMS and CFS relate to each other? In any event, I've certainly noticed the connection myself. You might also want to post your question in the Ask an Expert section of the Wiki:

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Q&A_with_an_Expert

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Fatigue and being tired is definetely a TMS equivialent. Once the pain symptoms no longer work at distracting you, your unconscious is forced to develop another symptom to grab your attention. There is a great thread by eric abot fatigue called TMS in a Nutshell. The important thing with TMS is to not let new symptoms bring you down. Identify it as simply TMS and know that you will overcome it in time. It could be that you just have a couple more issues to address.

4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Or...

And I'm stepping out of the box for a moment: You are truly tired. Do you have a down time every day? Are you able to sleep well at night? Are you exercising to the point where you need more sleep now than you did when you started? Winter? All of these can be legitimate reasons for more rest. I typically am an early riser but after a couple weeks, I find I sleep over 10 hours.

What I'm trying to say is: sometimes we need the rest. If none of these factors ring true? Then I am with Forest and MorComm. But if your day has changed and you are seriously tired because you are adding more activity, then perhaps you need more rest for awhile.

Hope you feel better soon.

BG