1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Proving TMS through Intense Activity

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by TomPNY, May 12, 2013.

1. TomPNY

TomPNY Peer Supporter

I have been suffering with back pain since December when I had what was described as a "major disk herniation." It's in quotes because I've read the material and am ignoring the MRI... And reenforcing my belief that all of this pain is TMS.

I signed up for a full day training session on intense joint mobility work, followed by a four hour training in the Russian martial art of Systema - which I wanted to learn for their breathing techniques.

I spent the morning stretching, doing push-ups, pull-ups, major stretches and rotations of every joint in my body.... With no pain or issues at all.

The afternoon? I engaged in full contact Russian special ops sparring practice with some very in shape folks... I was thrown to the ground multiple times, stretched and contorted, wrestled people, took full on punches and kicks....

And I would be remiss to mention that it was a two hour drive In a car each way... Which in itself wold have been agonizing.

I am new to this and new to healing through it.... But I will hold this day very close. How can there be something physically wrong with me if I was able to do all of that! How can I have a severe disk herniation?

Side note... Check out systema breathing. Great tool I learned. Helpful with reoxygenating muscles.

Thanks... Just had to share a good day.

Endless luke, Leslie and gailnyc like this.
  2. MarkV

MarkV New Member

Tom,
    What a day...that is off the charts! Very inspiring so thanks for sharing and that systema breathing sounds really cool too.
    Just a word of caution as even though Dr. Sarno's earlier book (Healing Back Pain) said it's okay to return to vigorously exercising right out of the gate, his last book (The Divided Mind) implied a more gradual, incremental approach. I am currently doing the latter with great results, but being super cautious and taking it slow after 2 years of debilitating pain.
    Hope your strategy works for the long run but in the event something comes up, just wanted to share this comment to make sure you stay on the right path and continue to believe as it definitely sounds like TMS. Best of health, Mark

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Tom - That is amazing! Anytime you have a successful day like that you build up a ton of confidence in yourself and this approach. I had the same experience when I first began being active again. Feeling like you have your life back is the best part of recovery.

4. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

Mark,
    I played basketball for the first time in over a decade two days ago. It was exhausting and I feel sore today but I think it was a very important learning experience. I really have worked the psychological angle exhaustively with limited success. Even though I wasn't feeling ready for vigorous exercise I think I should have done this far sooner.
    I think the incremental approach is a good idea if you are committed to incrementally increasing. If you keep watching your progress and not moving on until you hit certain markers it could be a bad idea.

Tom,
    You really hit it out of the park.

Leslie likes this.