1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Progress Report

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MsMetaP, Apr 27, 2012.

1. MsMetaP

MsMetaP Peer Supporter

It has now been 13 days since I discovered (my) TMS, and I’d like to give a little progress report.

First, though, I want to very sincerely thank all the folks who have worked so hard to create this Wiki and Forum. I have found this site to be every bit as helpful as the books I purchased. Combining the Sarno books with the Wiki is invaluable, especially using the Structured Program. Reading all the inspiring messages from people who have made this journey, and the support and advice on the forum is also most helpful (and reassuring). So thank you ALL!

Now to progress. My TMS problems have been many, over the years, but the specific one that drove me to search for a solution has been intense, excruciating sciatica and lower back pain, which I have been experiencing since fall 2010. It was intermittent at first, but became chronic last October.

After reading Dr. Sarno’s book, Healing Back Pain, I had no pain for several days after reading the book. Then, last Friday, I “scared myself” that the pain would return due to a “physical activity” and it did. :mad:

I’m delighted to report that this week I’ve seen a gradual reduction in the pain, going from a 6-7 last weekend (on a scale of 10), down to a 1 this morning! Hallelujah! I’m so relieved and feeling so empowered.

I’m on day five (started Monday) of the SP and it’s outstanding. I will say that my “list” of past stressful events was quite shocking to me. I’m almost 63, and I recovered repressed memories of child abuse at age 40, so I’m no stranger to therapy. I have addressed (at least to some extent) issues stemming from that abuse and some other traumatic life events. But...I had never written a complete list of ALL the “stuff” I’ve dealt with over the years. Seeing all of it (including an abusive husband, divorce, and a rape at knife-point among other things) listed all together was quite a revelation for me. The wonder is not that I have TMS, it’s that I’m even here at all. I’m pretty sure there are people in padded rooms that have had less trauma than I have. Don’t misunderstand...I am NOT invalidating anyone’s problems - just pretty blown away that I have SURVIVED my own!

Anyway...it’s pretty clear I have quite a bit of work left to do. LOL

One thing I came across (on the “old” Wiki), that really intrigues me is the book “The Presence Process” (another thanks for that thread and the great posts about the book). I’m pretty sure I will be doing “the process” after I complete the SP (I've already downloaded the Kindle Sample to my tablet). At my age, anything that might get things done efficiently and without dragging it on interminably, is an attractive idea. I’ve never heard about a book that people so consistently say is so “life altering.” That’s definitely what I’m looking for!

I do still have my “buzzing” left foot. The sciatica in the right leg is so much better, but it seems the buzzing might even be a teensy bit worse. Funny thing is, I decided to think of one word that would describe “the buzz” and the word that instantly popped into my mind was distracting. Seems I’m still trying to distract myself. Hopefully, I’ll be able to resolve things to the point that the “symptom imperative” will fade into the sunset! But...I'm not complaining, I'll take the buzzing over pain any day. LOL

One last thing...A delightful little thing I discovered this week is an app called a “Mindfulness Bell.” I can set it for any time span, such as every hour, every half-hour, etc., and it rings a lovely bell at those intervals to remind me to be-present-and-breathe. Apparently, they use mindfulness bells in Buddhist Temples, for this exact purpose. So...for those of you with iPads, iPhones, or as in my case, an Android tablet or phone check the "mindfulness/meditation apps. I tend to get engrossed in my work during the day (and I get tense when I do that). The bell is a great reminder to break that pattern!

Enrique likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya MsMetaP,

Congrats on the progress you have made! You should feel empowered by this. It goes to show you that you are not fragile and that this approach works. In encourage you to continue to identify those stressors and connect them back to your symptoms. Understanding this plays a huge role in our success. It sounds like you have identified what the buzzing is doing. Now it is time to figure out what it is trying to distract you from. Use the buzzing as a signal to look investigate your emotions, and you should then be able to overcome it.

The Presence Process is a very popular book. As you saw in the Presence Process Thread a lot of people have found it to be helpful. We still need to look inward to recover from TMS, but I think the Presence Process can help teach people how to overcome the worry and anxiety about their symptoms and future events.

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so much better. Continue to do the program, and keep us updated on your progess

Best,

Forest

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

MsMetaP:

Your experiences and positive attitude are going to serve you well. Sounds like you know yourself too. I think when some people start this process, they are kinda blown away by all their issues. But you wrote yours out with confidence and a willingness to look at a tough past - and still work your way out of pain.

Congrats to you and I hope things continue to improve.

BG

4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Just got the app! Thank you.

And you're doing so well, even facing the adversity that you've spoken about in this post. Best of luck to you, you're doing great!

BG