1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Progress... but stuck on one thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by colls100, Apr 18, 2018.

1. colls100

colls100 Well known member

Thanks @plum - I will check out your story.

I am really noticing today how easily I fall back into the trap of fear, panic, anxiety, searching, worrying and feeling hopeless.

It took a grand total of about 7 hours today to feel those overwhelming feelings and have to bring myself back from the edge.

However they usually come on waking, so that's real progress huh?

Claire Weekes audio on repeat for as long as it takes I think!

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It is progress. For many of us healing is a case of baby steps combined with lots of patience. It takes a little time to break these habits, which is where ideas like outcome independence come from. Employ whatever self-soothers you need and do your best to relax. This moment-by-moment healing gains momentum and becomes easier and more natural.

3. colls100

Gosh, I don't want to say it because I've thought it many times before, but I feel like I GET IT NOW! :)

4. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Hi Colls, I think Plum and the others have formulated it very well. The panicking state is a state of preoccupation with the symptom. If you don’t care anymore about the symptom it will stop. Congrats, you had a morn8ng without anxiety, this is a good sign! Relax! The rest will follow!

5. colls100

Yes @Time2be

I have a habit of fear, understandable because by the time I even considered my symptoms were nothing medical, I was years into this and had been given so many potential medical reasons.

I can see I have hundreds if not thousands of 'fear' thoughts a day which I now try to notice gently, with no judgement on myself...

Same with the dizziness, instead of wishing it away I just feel it. Strangely hard to do when symptoms are constant, as there is no sudden obvious reminder to be present and accept. I guess I have endless opportunity to be accepting...!

I actually have an appointment with a hypnotherapist tomorrow - and I feel confident that this will complement the fear-based approach. As much as I understand that nobody can recover for me, I do feel like I need support of some kind. I'm hoping that now I can explain what I know is really going on and he can really tailor something for me that will help root out these deep-seated fears and beliefs.

And thanks for the reminder about Claire Weekes... I have listened to her audio many times before, but not with the awareness and level of understanding I have now. She is an angel, she's so confident in her approach she reminds me of a matron at the boarding school I attended... caring but firm in a way that makes sure you take her seriously. It's like she knows we can recover and she's not taking no for an answer! :)