1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 31 Professional relationships

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tarala, Oct 28, 2012.

1. tarala

tarala Well known member

Day 31 asks about any effects on our professional relationships we have noticed. I think the intention is probably about peer relationships, but I am a psychologist with my own practice so I don't have a lot of peer interaction.

The weird thing I have noticed is that suddenly people with chronic pain are popping up. I guess we teach what it is we need to learn :).

But mainly I have found that everything I'm learning and practicing has really been enhancing the way in which I normally work and broadening my perspective.

JanAtheCPA and Gigi like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I'm a middle school librarian in a library that has 2 levels and a long ramp. For two years, severe plantar fasciitis that eventually landed me in a wheelchair kept me from being the librarian I wanted to be. Back in the days when I had an assistant, I was always the one who would trot downstairs to help the kids. Suddenly I had to ask kids and teachers to help other kids, because I was now the only staff person, and I had to stay near the checkout desk upstairs, since I couldn't move around well. Boy was THAT hard!! It was good to let go a bit. But I missed being down there to help the kids and recommend other titles when they were down in the stacks.
    Now that I've been working the program for the last month, and recognized the PF for the TMS manifestation that it is, I'm once again able to head down and help kids when they need it. YES!!

tarala, JanAtheCPA and BruceMC like this.
  3. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

That is fantastic!

I am a high school teacher, and I was in a wheelchair from November - March because of foot pain. I was able to get up on my feet in the classroom (I used the wheelchair to navigate the hallways) but because of the pain I was severely limited, sitting down often, and felt I wasn't being the teacher I wanted to be (so I know exactly what you mean). In the last couple of weeks I've felt more comfortable being on my feet more often in the classroom, which is WONDERFUL. Being able to move around more freely and write on the board when I feel like it really frees me up. I feel like I am on my way back to being the energetic teacher I used to be.

tarala, JanAtheCPA and Gigi like this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful development to celebrate!