1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Problems with digestion immediately after eating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by laurel, Jul 26, 2018.

1. laurel

laurel Newcomer

Curious to hear from others whose TMS affects acid reflux and digestion and what's worked for you? I know that it's common for stress in general to impact IBS and reflux, but lately I feel like it's hit a critical point where the fear and expectation of pain, reflux, and LPR is enough to trigger some kind of subconscious/neurological process where I can't actually digest food properly. No relaxation techniques have really worked to get it going again - the closest thing to a solution is to drink some hot water, but even that doesn't always work.

I've recently been treated for an h pylori infection and gastritis, so my stomach is already disrupted with all the antibiotics and PPIs, and I'm sure the initial problems with severe bloating, pain, and reflux was probably a result of that. I'm weaning off those meds, eating healthy, and taking probiotics so I think from that standpoint I'm back on track. Now however, I notice that if I am completely distracted while eating (which is rare), things are normal, but if I am even momentarily conscious of the "fact" that I am eating, I get the most severe bloating to the point where I can't breathe and I get the sensation of inhaling acid, with it burning my throat, sinuses, and even drying out my eyes. I end up coughing up a lot too, which I was told meant acid was irritating my airways. This makes me anxious so on top of all that, I can feel my heart racing, I feel faint, and I start to feel like I am having a panic attack.

I've had scans, blood tests, and an endoscopy to rule out anything severely structurally wrong, and have been told it's GERD and LPR and to just take PPIs. I do think the nature of it, and how just thinking about eating seems to trigger it, means it needs to be dealt with psychologically but I just don't quite know how.

Velvet_Hidden likes this.
  2. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

Thanks for sharing your experience... I've too of late have dealt with acid reflux symptoms.... over a year ago I was able to cease my back pain symptom by reading Dr. Sarno's literature and doing the structured program over 42 day period.... Since I've journaled and dealt with those heavy inner emotions..... But soon after I started having acid reflux symptoms.... after discovering what it was I stopped eating beans in my diet and most of the symptoms subsided... It's been tricky though because I did have a flare of up of TMS back pain around Christmas last year in which I ceased by journaling my current thought/feelings... But I still had the acid reflux symptoms... I remember Dr. Sarno saying in his DVD lecture that, the body doesn't really need two physical processes at the same time to distract your attention normally it only uses one or the other.... so I know for certain my back pain was TMS... but I do believe my acid reflux is physical especially after researching and seeing why some may get the syndrome.... Slowing down my eating (noticed I eat very quickly) and removing beans (which are TOUGH on my intestines/gut) and waiting at least 30 minutes after a meal to drink plenty of water (so I don't dilute my stomach acid) has NEARLY CEASED my symptoms... I just think my body is still adjusting to my new habit of eating/diet while being nearly symptom free... the mind is powerful! I hope my few cents is able to offer some advice to you! BEST WISHES!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi laurel,
    This particular observation is very important, in my opinion. Just knowing and allowing the pattern, while reassuring yourself you'll be OK can go a long way. Try to observe, acknowledge the pattern, and know that in time your seeing --by itself, will do much of the remaining work. Just gently asking yourself what might be triggering this ---and perhaps it is the fear of symptoms, can help. You're becoming an accepting companion to your experience. Patience is helpful!
    Andy B