1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Posture issues after tooth extraction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by taliaaa92, Jan 20, 2023.

1. taliaaa92

taliaaa92 New Member

Hi everyone,

I recently went and got a back molar extracted at the dentist a week ago, and ever since then I have been feeling pain in my neck and shoulders. My left shoulder sits up higher and leans forward. My posture just feels so off and it's driving me crazy! I can feel that I am having forward head posture as well and it's been so hard to sit for long periods of time and trying to find a comfortable position when trying to sleep. It's causing me so much fear because I just keep associating these symptoms due to the fact that I'm missing a molar and maybe that's why my body is like this? Like maybe my body is compensating for my missing molar because I have read about how jaw alignment affects your posture. I'm freaking out :( I am obviously a classic TMSer... I always carry so much fear and worry.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

How anxious were you before getting your dental work done? Were you stressed?
    Were you afraid of the procedure and were you thinking about the possible outcomes (of your posture) before? Were you super tense during your office visit and are you holding this tension pattern?
    All things to gently consider, without obsessing over, or Dr googling. These are internal and not external conditions of your mind.
    Many people acquire or have physical uniqueness and are just fine. What if you tried reframing your thoughts (Ann just made a great post on this), recognizing your emotions and fears and the cycles of these you go through as a person with TMS?
    Perhaps reviewing Alan Gordon’s free program of pain reprocessing on this wbsite will help?

3. taliaaa92

taliaaa92 New Member

I was anxious and stressed yes, but mainly over other things (I have been obsessing over my hair loss and crying over it every day).
    But I was very scared of getting my tooth pulled months prior to my appt and I looked up about the possible outcomes of my posture.
    I have just been a ball of stress lately and my worries and fears have been bouncing around for months. I obsess over the things I worry about to an unhealthy degree... like my hair.. and now I was told by the dermatologist that the rash I have down there could possibly be Lichen Sclerosus and I spiraled after googling and have been crying... it's weird because ever since I googled and read about how girls have pain from LS down there, I started feeling some pain down there today! And I've had that rash for a few months and never felt pain? Sorry for going off tangent. I feel hopeless.

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you read a book by Sarno, worked through a program, had coaching.. done the work to help yourself?
    If not, I suggest you try the free program from Alan Gordon on this website. It deals directly with fear. It’s a great start!
    physical issues “down there” - pain that Doctors might attribute to s myriad of things is not uncommon with TMS-era. It sure gets your attention by distracting you from your emotions about more important facets of your life!