1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Post-natal and symptoms returned

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jill Pensom, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

Hello everybody,

I have TMS and did the programme on this site and also read John Sarno's book religiously when I was pregnant back in March. I really got into it and managed to eliminate the pain that had bothered me for years (mainly nerve pain in both legs). During the pregnancy I felt great and continued to read Sarno's dailies and I also started to meditate for 20 mins a day.

My labour was uncomplicated and with no pain relief. I had no nerve/back/siatica pain whatsoever .

However, now my baby is nearly two weeks old I am finding myself reverting back to my old thinking/pain cycle patterns and also associating certain postures/behaviours with how I felt when I had my first son (when my TMS was at its worst). So I am thinking the pain is due to lifting (baby very light), sitting breastfeeding and other awkward postures. I realise though Sarno would say its more likely due to increased anxiety, tiredness and lack of brain stimulation (I'm generally just breastfeeding most of the day/night).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks,

Jill

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jill,
    Congratulations on the birth of your new baby!

For me the key to TMS healing is thinking psychologically instead of physically about the origin of my pain and other TMS symptoms. Having a child can trigger many emotions on an unconscious level that you may be repressing. It certainly did for me. My advice would be to journal when you can (I know you have very little time for yourself right now) and explore any emotional/psychological issues around being a new mother. For example, are you getting the support you need? Does it raise issues about your relationship to your own mother, or to your past parenting experience? All new Moms experience fatigue, anxiety, awkward positions, etc., yet don't necessarily have pain. So I would look at repressed emotions as the source.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellen is right. Having a child is one of the biggest live events you will ever have. Even though this is your 2nd child, there is still an immense amount of stress associated with having kids. You have to focus on your newborn's needs above your own and, as Ellen mentioned, there is a chance any issues about your own relationship with your mother or past may arise. The key is to begin recognizing the symptoms as benign and to think psychologically. As you reach this level of acceptance, the symptoms will fade away.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jill. I agree with Ellen and Forest that having a child is one of the biggest events you will ever have.

So does Steve Ozanich. I'm reading his chapter 11 of The Great Pain Deception and he says that one of the causes of TMS pain is pregnancy because it is the event that changes a girl into a woman. Caring for a newborn child brings on more responsibilities and anxieties.

I hope you can enjoy this wonderful God-given miracle in your life. Hold that treasure in your arms and send so much love into your baby that it will take over your mind-body-spirit and the back pain will disappear. Your baby will benefit from it, too. It's too young to understand when you talk to it about your love for it, but I've no doubt it can feel it, and that can stay with it for its entire life. Love is so nurturing.

If you have time, tune in to tonight's call-in about Chapter 11 of Steve's book for a discussion of how our emotions can cause was TMS Pain.
    My summary of the chapter mentions pregnancy.

TUESDAY, OCT. 29, CALL-IN: “TIMING OF THE ONSET,” CHAPTER 11, THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION

Next Tuesday, October 29, the call-in discussion group will be discussing Chapter 11 (Timing of the Onset: Don’t Beware, Be Aware))in Steve Ozanich's book The Great Pain Deception starting at 9 pm Eastern Time. It lasts an hour, sometimes a little longer. Phone lines will open half an hour early so you can talk to hosts and early callers. Here's how to join the discussion (for detailed instructions, visit http://go.tmswiki.org/connect ):
    ·If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 347-817-7654 and when prompted enter the pin code 183 11 499 pound symbol.
    ·If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.
    For more information, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group .