1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Post Nasal Drip (TMS?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Velvet_Hidden, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

Last year I was able to overcome my back pain by reading Dr. Sarno's "Healing Back Pain" book and doing the structured program over 42 days. Near the close of completing the program, I began developing a runny nose out of no where. It got so bad in the days that passed, I began having nose bleeds. I often have to clear my throat of phlegm daily due to the heavy mucus flowing through my respiratory system. I visited my doctors and used natural remedies to no avail. Since last year, I've had this problem. I'm currently set in stone believing this is another manifestation of TMS attempting to grasp my attention. Nothing works to stop it and I notice the only times of the day I get the worse flares up of a runny nose is when I awake and when I shower. I've never had allergies so, I'm very skeptical in dealing with this random onset of an irritated nose. I'm 3 days in re-reading TMS literature and books while telling my brain i'm dealing with TMS and to STOP IT!... has anyone else had this issue after overcoming TMS induced back pain?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    TrustIt, Nickell and Saffron like this.
  2. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

a few years ago, after reading 'the divided mind", i overcame life-long migraines. at the time, i also had what felt like a sinus issue, but didn't tie it to tms. i have gone to all kinds of doctors, had sinus scopes and xrays (normal), herbs, homeopathics, on and on and NOTHING seems to alleviate it. it has gotten better over the years, but is hanging on relentlessly, just enough to aggravate the hell out of me. all day long, clearing my throat...mucus won't go up and out the nose, nor down...stuck right at a place that cannot be easily coughed out...almost like it is teasing me, hiding in a pocket that is hard to reach. wakes me up and keeps me awake at night. i am rereading all the tms information i can get my hands on right now, including coming to this site to compare notes with others experiencing this. i must mention, too, that i have had severe ibs (another rabbit hole with docs and such) for a few years and with all my current reading seem to have overcome that for which i am IMMENSELY grateful. this post nasal drip is the last of the contenders for tms treatment i believe. it is tenacious. it is a source of tremendous rage in me sometimes and i journal about it. i am very willing to look at the psychological cause(s) but i get no answers and am frustrated at times to the point of fight-flight, tho i can't escape from my body. no matter if i am friends with my brain/body or yell at it in frustration, neither seems to make a difference.

3. Madder

Madder New Member

I know this is an older thread, and you may have managed to overcome this issue. My wife is going through this at the moment, waking up during the night with a bad cough and full of mucus. She understands that this is likely a mind body issue, but it still won't go away. She is relatively new to understanding TMS though, and so with time hopefully it will go away. However, we find that if she takes Marshmallow root, twice during the day, so maybe mid afternoon and then again before bed time, she doesn't have the issue. The ONLY problem with taking marshamallow root is that you have to pre plan when you're going to take it. Because it needs to be taken 2 hours apart from other supplements/medications. Hope this helps someone.

TrustIt likes this.
  4. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

sounds like LPR to me. marshmallow root is great for the digestive system. after reading so much about it, i am of the belief that during the night stomach gases go up into the nasal passages and sinuses and throat which creates mucus. i'm working on my digestion more than anything at this point. i know ibs is also considered tms, so WHATEVER it is, i'm working with that perspective. we'll see what happens. thanks for your input

Madder likes this.
  5. Madder

Madder New Member

Thank you for that post. Reflux fits perfectly to be fair

6. Madder

Madder New Member

Wouldn't you know that a day or two after I read this thread and commented on it, I am now suffering with this issue myself. I thought I was getting a head cold. I woke up with a sore throat. But I have not had any other head cold symptoms. What I have is a constant need to clear my throat. The throat feels quite weak too, when I'm clearing it. It itches too as do my ears on the inside. I feel congested in my chest. I was on PPi's for 15 years for heartburn, but weaned off them about 5 years ago after reading of the damages of long term use. Shortly after that the heartburn and right sided burning and gnawing pains have plagued me for almost 5 years. I found out about TMS just 5 weeks ago. And in the last week or two, my burning pains have been declining, and that is great, but this throat issue is concerning me.

7. saturn_nights

saturn_nights New Member

This is quite a difficult TMS symptom to identify the cause of, especially if there are no obvious underlying causes (such as sickness). In my case, I noticed a pattern of the time and place I was getting a runny nose/scratchy throat. I've also gained a recent understanding of how the immune system's overreaction to pollen can be TMS. Only after identifying those have my symptoms severely reduced.
    That's a pretty plausible theory actually. In many personal stories about TMS, I've seen a clear relationship between repressed emotions and symptoms produced by the gastrointestinal system. Maybe I should look into that topic some more.