1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Hanscom's Blog Positive Thinking vs. Real-time Reprogramming

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Back In Control Blog, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Back In Control Blog

Back In Control Blog Well known member

I’m a positive-minded person. I endeavor to never give up since I always think I will prevail over all adversity. 20-plus years of chronic LBP were not overcome by positive thinking. In fact, my almost exclusive reliance on my positive thinking added to my anxiety and fear of ever being able to relieve my chronic pain.

Following through

But, only through meditation and an immersion into Dr. Hanscoms program did I finally find relief from my chronic pain. Positive thinking surely plays a part in one’s pursuit of accomplishment throughout our lives. However it is the rewiring of our thought process that brings pain relief. I can be positive that I can overcome my pain but it’s the follow-through steps that make the difference.

Only after going through an excruciating process of forgiving and forgetting, of riding myself of anger and resentment was I able to prepare myself to be rid of my pain. This process enables you to rid yourself of the fear and anxiety that chronic pain produces. You can be positive that you will get better. But, until you commit and do the work your chances of recovery are quite limited.

[​IMG]

The work

Do the work by detoxifying yourself. Write down and throw away all of your daily bad feelings, your anger, resentments and negativity. This process includes daily meditation, which when combined with the writing offers you the opportunity to be rid of your anger and negative thoughts that prevent hope. If you believe there is no hope of pain relief you have effectively given up on your current and future prospects of ever living a pain free existence.

Hope

At one point in my past I had given up all hope of ever having ANY pain relief. I was anxiety ridden and afraid to get out of bed to face another pain filled day. I was full of the anger and resentment that comes with chronic pain. I did the work and continue to do the work everyday. My LBP disappeared four years ago. I’m rid of the pain-induced anger, fear, anxiety and hopelessness that once controlled my life. Just do the work!

[​IMG]

Related posts:

1. Reprogramming the Nervous System
    2. Life Sentence
    3. Rigid Thinking – “Make America Great Again”
    [​IMG]

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think positive thinking has to be done with attunement and tenderness, contact with the reality of our situation. If I am always positive, then am I really feeling my feelings? Am I not taking a rigid stance, a defensive stance, if I'm not careful? And if my identity is to "be positive," then am I not re-enforcing my personality, without touching into and exploring the underlying fear which drives this identity? Some thoughts on "positive thinking."