1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Positive and Negative Thinking

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Oct 8, 2012.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I began Dr Brady's 6-week program after reading Dr. Sarno's HEALING YOUR BACK and Brady's PAIN FREE FOR LIFE. I'm only into day 5 of Brady's program and sometimes when I talk to my back and tell it to stop the pain because it's not structural but caused by repressing emotions, it works and the pain stops. Until I walk around a little, then it comes back and I try again, most of the time with success if I sit down.

I've been journaling and have brought up a lot of suppressed emotions but they're all negative and I've tried to be a positive person. Journaling can be a downer for me. Is it okay to after each 20 minutes of journaling to try to spend the rest of the day on POSITIVE things and mantras?

I'm 82 and the back pain began about two months ago. I lifted something. The pain usually goes away with one Advil during the day and maybe one before bed, but not always. I haven't told my doctor because I expect he would have me take a lot of tests and put me on strong pain killers.
    I doubt I have a herniated disc or anything really serious because I'm not bed-ridden and walk and even drive to do grocery shopping.

Being on the computer hurts my back. And I still work to pay the bills and mortgage and my work requires me to be on the computer a lot, with a super Type A boss who wants everything and wants it right away and is impossible to please.

So is it okay to think POSITIVE as well as journal to find the repressed feelings?

And at 82 should I expect a long time before relief from back pain?

walt glenview

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Hi Walt.

I've done a lot of journaling and I always always end each session with something learned, or something to accept or forgive.
    So, after bringing up whatever needs to be discussed I end it with: what is a positive message from this? lesson learned? where am I being realistic? unrealistic? Even if it's something as simple (but powerful) as: I am ready to heal/forgive this hurt/experience/issue. I like to feel a shift somewhere, which can change my perspective about the topic. And it feels good!

I think this is important about journaling, otherwise, yes, it would be too much of a downer sometimes!

I am all for thinking (which brings FEELING) positive!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Lori, thanks very much for this very helpful reply. I will definitely follow your "end positive" suggestion in my journaling.

Walt

4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Walt,

I think you can be a positive person and still allow yourself to have the sadness and anger that may come up in journaling--in fact repressing those feelings is part of what causes TMS. But I don't think you have to let yourself get overwhelmed by negative feelings either. As Lori mentioned you can end on a positive note with journaling or maybe even do some affirmations as well.

Take care,
    Veronica

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, Veronica. I will do the affirmations, too.

I think I had a "A-ha!" moment this morning. I phoned my boss and told him to stop sending me emails pushing his political views on me. Back pain went away, but I think I have more repression in me from my boss and other things.

Becca and veronica73 like this.
  6. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Great news, Walt!

7. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Good for you Walt! That's a brave step. I had a friend who was doing that a while ago and I had to ask her to stop.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

People are too polarized by politics. It's giving everyone a lot of pain.

9. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

Lori,

This is great. I have not been journalling much but feel the need to. When I sit down to do it, I don't know where to go and sometimes don't feel that it has been beneficial. I like the concept of ending with a look back of lesson learned or accepting or letting go of something. Thanks for the post.