1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Poll: Myers-Briggs personality types

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by SB, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SB

SB Peer Supporter

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Except . . . except . . . what are considered "personality traits" are often enough merely repressive coping styles that actually have evolved early in life before the development of explicit memory in reaction to childish fears. Is "Field Marshall" (Feldmarshal) actually an innate personality trait? Ask Erwin Rommel or Eric von Manstein.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hm, I wish I could remember what my profile was when I took the test, what, almost 30 years ago?

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting. Both my girlfriend and I are INTP:
    I = Introversion
    N = iNtuition
    T = Thinking
    P = Perception
    (all are explained in the Wikipedia article sbrodson linked to)

I wouldn't be surprised if I is more common among people with TMS/PPD. We tend to get all wrapped up in our thoughts.

sbrodson, did you mean to link to the subsection of the Wikipedia article on Keirsey temperaments or are you interested in Myers Briggs in general?

5. BruceMC

Yes, Forest, I = Introversion does seem to go hand-in-hand with obsessive-compulsive preoccupation with symptoms that builds and reinforces TMS. Sounds like T = Thinking and P = Perception must also be factored into the equation as well.

6. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I'm ENFJ!

Extravert
    Intuition
    Feeling
    Judging

Although an extravert, ENFJ seems like a personality type that could be TMS prone--very focused on what others are feeling: http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFJ.html

I've taken it several times and I always come out ENFJ.

7. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I took this about a week ago and I can't remember what my results were then but the questions were different. I took it today and I came up with ISFJ. I question the accuracy of my results though because I've really been analyzing my personality lately (spent quite a bit of time with chapter 5 of Dr Brady's book this past week). I had a hard time choosing the responses to the questions today. I do know for certain that the Introvert is 100% accurate!

8. BruceMC

It does seem to me that Introversion does seem absolutely essential to the development of psychogenic symptoms. However, you have to also factor in such things as trying to compensate for low self-esteem and some kind of developmental trauma experienced in childhood. The personality type might be a favorable Petri dish for growing TMS symptoms but you have to give it a good shake or knocking about to get them to grow into a classic self-perpetuating case of chronic pain symptoms. Some kind of trauma or shock.

9. SB

SB Peer Supporter

I know that the wikipedia article points out how Keirsey temperaments is a different thing/angle from Myers Briggs, but the breakdown of 16 different personality types with those 4-letter codes is what I was after. The specifics are less interesting to me than the broad brushstrokes. I worked at a company once where we all used the 4-letter codes to give a quick summary to people we'd be working on projects with. A lot of people get hung up on minor differences (i.e. "But I'm not TOTALLY like an ENFP!"), but the value that I found was this: how cool is it that in 4 letters you can communicate so much about your personality and approach to life and your working style? It's 80/20 rule; the 4 letters don't tell the whole story but efficiently tell a decent portion of it.

10. Layne

Layne Well known member

I usually come out with ENFJ or ENFP.

11. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

ESTJ

12. Stella

Stella Well known member

ISTJ
    When I worked at a big corporation this Personality Type test was so insightful. Everybody in the division took it so it really helped in understanding and communicating with others.

13. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

ENFP

I wondered about the personality type as applied to TMS and just googled this thread. We seem to be covering several types. Interestingly enough, I've read online about the ENFP that they tend to suffer from back and neck pain. Hmmm.... and the goodist is captured thoroughly :)