1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

PLEASE HELP ME--DESPARATE

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by debbie, Jun 21, 2013.

1. debbie

debbie New Member

HELP!! I got diagnosed with TMS by a TMS psychotherspist after diagnosing myself with it when seeing myself, my fibromyalgia and disc problems as well as OCD and depression in the divided mind--I read Sarno's Healing Back Pain and journaling and working with the therapist for a month--results--some OCD went away for a week and now has been back for a week and i'm having a horrible pain day today--i'm 47 and have been dealing with my mental "distractions" for 38 years and my physical"distractons" for 25 years--only treatments, meds, and non tms stuff has helped--i want the cure!! Am i too old to teach a new dog new tricks?? I haven't seen anyone with my age/length of tms issues that have recovered from both mental and physical tms problems--can anyone relate in my age bracket with my length of time with tms mental and physical messing with me???? If yes, please let me know your story ie tms symptoms/age/length of time you had symptoms/how long it took to get rid of it for good--Please, I'm desparate

2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Debbie
    I am so sorry you are struggling. My own difficulties have not been as long lived as your own so I can only imagine the full extent of your experience. If you haven't read "The Great Pain Deception" by Steve Ozanich, I suggest you consider it. Steve is a forum member and TMS author. His book details his horrifying, sometimes totally debilitating battle with many TMS forms for 30+ years. I suspect his message might be just the thing you are needing at this point.

3. Solange

Solange Well known member

Debbie, I am a similar age to you and have TMS symptoms at the moment but since I started to 'think psychologically'earlier this year, I have had many more better days than bad ones. I think the long and short of it is that if you have suffered TMS symptoms for a very large part of your life, you may be one of the lucky ones who heal quickly or you may have to accept that you have taken decades to arrive at this situation and that it may take time to break negative patterns that have built up.This is hard to accept, and I speak from personal experience, but avoid setting a timeline to recovery as it possible to create too much pressure and stress on yourself.

4. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Hi Debbie,

You are certainly not too old. If you go to the members tab at the top of the page and search for Walt Glenview you will see from his posts that he is in his eighties and he made a recovery. Leslie's advice about Steve Ozanich is spot on. To have as much pain as he did for over 30 years and now be fully recovered is absolutely amazing. Make the most of the posts on this site-there is such a wealth of information and the members are so kind and understanding it really helps.

5. AngK

AngK Peer Supporter

Debbie. I am 43 years old and now know that I've been dealing with TMS in one form or another since my teens (headaches, insomnia, asthma, panic attacks, stomach problems, myofascial pain). I am new to this, too, & am not "cured" yet, but I can tell a difference after only 2 weeks. I really try not to think about the absence of pain as my goal. My goal is to address my repression issue... to recognize the things that bother me & face them head on. I'm hoping that once I can do that -- without relying on my pain to remind me to think about it -- the absence of symptoms will follow. But, I'm still early in the program and that part isn't quite automatic yet. Please don't be discouraged. Listen to the people on this Wiki and their suggestions and review the recommended material. There are lots of tools to help guide you through what to do. And, yes, we old dogs can learn new tricks! Good luck!

6. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

AngK, I think this is great advice. It is not easy and I am still struggling, but I think this is the way to go.

7. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm 47 and have had fibromyalgia for 22 years. I had loads of stomach aches/growing pains, eczema, nervous tics etc as a kid and teenager, then went totally off the rails with drink and drugs for years. I am only on day 6 but I feel it is right and it will work. I am having success stopping different pains - most of the time, but the journaling stuff is really hard. But - what else can I do! I've tried every pill and potion, every alternative therapy, every Dr possible - nothing has got me better. Reading 'The Divided Mind' just struck a deep chord within me - I am a TMS 'person' - I can see it as clear as day. So I will keep on - and do the work - and I WILL get better.

8. Stella

Stella Well known member

I am 61. A life time Tmser. I started the Structured Education Program on this site Nov. 1. I have had depression all my life and numerous health issues. I am almost completely pain free and almost completely depression free.

I have to journal everyday. Every time the "dark cloud" starts to float into my head I know I have an associated thought. Every time I have cramping in my abdomen, low back pain, foot pain, etc. I know I have an associated thought. I have to work every day to be conscious of my thoughts. I continue to have insight into "me" and what drives my symptoms.

You can do this too. Yes, you will all get better.

Sheree likes this.
  9. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

Stella, I'm so encouraged that you have mostly healed your pain and your depression. I've had lifetime TMS pain, and depression (mostly seasonal in winter) all my adult life (I'm 67). Before getting on the TMS structured ed program 10 days ago, I had decided to bite the bullet and start Prozac in late August so I can stay out of the dark hole this year. Using light therapy just hasn't been enough. I hope I will be far enough along on this journey to have confidence that I can get through winter unmedicated. I honestly don't have a lot of confidence in the meds, but I need to do something!

10. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Yes - thanks for posting this, Stella. It is encouraging.