1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 12 People pleaser - absurd level

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ania, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Ania

Ania Peer Supporter

Today I realized that I am goodist/people pleaser and it really goes to absurd level.
    Not only I am often acting as a peacemaker. Not only I fill kind of shame and discomfort is someone near me makes a slip that can affect another person: for example says joke about old maids when I know that colleague next to me is 35 year old single and is unhappy about this.
    Even when someone makes a blunder towards me, even in such a situation I try to turn it into joke, because I already think that this person will fill embarrassed when he/she realizes that he/she said something hmm... stupid. Like recently, I was having some health problems and was looking tired, when my colleague asked: "Are you before holidays or after? You look like you were before."

:) greetings to all people pleasers :)

ChronicVince likes this.
  2. Josh Howard

Josh Howard New Member

We're in the same boat! That seems to be a common link between most of the people suffering. It is hardest when I am around family/friends and want to please/accommodate everyone at every turn. It's exhausting.

Best of luck in your journey.

3. dsihaya

dsihaya New Member

I was thinking about my goodist features and I got stuck, so I wanted to read some posts about the issue. I found myself in your posts. I feel the tension in a room with friends or with family and I try to make sure that everyone is at ease. I feel if someone is offended by someone's words and I try to make up for it. I feel ashamed for others' behaviors. Even when I know someone is at fault I try to make excuses and I understand them, make them feel comfortable even if I know I shouldn't. I don't know if there is a word for over-emphatising. Also sometimes I am being so nice and kind in and I feel that people are thinking there is something wrong with me, but I cannot help it.
    Thanks for sharing and helping me in discovering my feelings.
    Best of luck.

Ania likes this.