1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pelvic obliquity??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mousemom, Oct 2, 2013.

1. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

So I had my appt. with the neuro dr. today and he said that it is my pelvic obliquity causing my back pain. Has anyone else been dx with this same condition? This is something new to me. I was expecting him to say herniated discs, etc. Those were on the MRI but he thinks the pain is from the pelvis. I take this as good news but he is also suggesting that I don't have the steroid injection but a facet injection in the disc around the area of my back that hurts. He also wants me to start pt to strengthen the core and back. Any advice? Now I am stuck again. Thanks.

2. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

Not to mention that my anxiety has been sky high since yesterday and have been able to shake it. I meet with a new therapist tomorrow. This anxiety and pain is getting the best of me. UGH!!

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Mousemom im going to give you an answer I heard from a friend a while back- im sure this will resonate with you and I hope it helps. Your a person that is trying and that means everything.

I believe it is critical to take a long-term view of recovery and not try to monitor your progress. Trust that over time the symptoms will fade on their own. Whether it takes weeks or months or years does not matter, because you have already disarmed them. Long before the symptoms fade, they have lost their power over you. That is the real goal.

Instead of focusing on the pain, you are focusing on your emotional state. It is impossible to know exactly what triggered the TMS pain, or even if there is a specific trigger. That does not matter. It is the act of trying to figure it out that is important.

If you do this on a regular basis, it sends a message to your unconscious mind that the symptom is no longer grabbing your attention. Therefore it ceases to serve its purpose. Over time the symptoms fade on their own. You might always get them in some manner, but they are inconsequential to your daily life. They are nothing more than a temporary nuisance.

There is really no magic to it. It is simply repetition and time.

Every time you are aware of the symptoms, accept them as benign. Treat them as a signal that you might be repressing something. Maybe something happened recently in your life that has stirred up some negative feelings that you are not fully in touch with. Try to figure out what it might be.

Ellen and Solange like this.
  4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

That's a great answer Herbie. Well said. I would also add that just because you have a setback one day doesn't mean that you got worse that day. The pain is random due to many psychological and biological forces. Pain doesn't mean that you still didn't make advances that day, with TMS healing. In fact, the pain often increases because you are making advances, and the brain/ego can't allow that progress toward happiness, for the reasons Dr. Sarno observed; to keep the thoughts from rising to consciousness, to keep the unwanted as unwanted.

5. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

Mousemom, I didn't know what this "diagnosis" was, but a quick google search, and now I have a name for my own "deformity." I've had uneven hips and tilted pelvis for YEARS! It never caused me pain. My husband used to laugh at me because it appeared that my legs were different lengths. Again, never caused pain, I was active in sports, didn't even know there was a name for it!

Fast forward, a very stressful period in my life when I lost multiple family members in a short time frame, all unexpectedly, had 2 babies in 2 years, relocated, no family support system (other than my husband) and BAM, I have pain! I felt like I had been hit by a bus! Gradually, over many, many months, I have learned to dismiss muscle pain and it has faded, despite the fact that I still have this "structural abnormality." I've had MRIs, x-rays, and countless other tests looking for answers, but as soon as something was dismissed as being the culprit, the symptom faded. For instance, I had SEVERE headaches and was convinced I had a brain tumor. What else could cause such intense pain around the clock? I had a CT scan and MRI, both normal, and within a couple of weeks the headaches vanished.

As soon as a suspected cause was dismissed, the symptom faded. I still have work to do, I am stuck on nerve pain and twitching, but I know that if I stop trying to sort it out, eventually it will go. By no means is it easy, but the endless searching for answers just keeps my nervous system on high alert.

Look for SteveO's interview with Dr. Emmitt Miller. Overall a great interview, but there is a particular section where they talk about putting a "name" to something is one of the worst things that could happen for healing! You said yourself that your anxiety and fear are high and I would bet this is why you are hurting!

My two cents, forget physical therapy and try yoga. It's relaxing for the mind and strengthens the body!

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Mousemom, Pandagirl and others here have given you some good advice.
    Try yoga instead of physical therapy.
    You may be pushing yourself too hard to heal fast.
    Switch from thinking about the pain to not feeling any pain and, if you feel it,
    forcefully tell your subconscious it's not structural but TMS psychological from
    repressed emotions. Lighten up on yourself and find things to laugh about.

None of this is easy, but it beats thinking about pain all the time.