1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain went away completely twice today...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Archaea, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Archaea

Archaea New Member

Okay, this is interesting (well, to me it is). As you may have guessed from my username (Archaea) and the "chemistry dude" avatar, I am a high school science teacher. During our planning period today some administrator called a meeting. This was stressful because I had intended to use that time to set up a lab for my next class. The lab involved chemicals so I have to set it up the morning of class and not the night before. If you have ever had 20 kids walk into a classroom when you have nothing for them to do, you understand the stress here.

Anyway as this meeting dragged on and on I was having some serious angst. I needed to get going! What was amazing is that I realized that after sitting for a full hour I was pain free. I am usually not able to sit more than a few minutes without pain. Apparently my brain saw no need to distract me with pain? What the...? I know it sounds strange but I really had no pain at all, anywhere in my whole body. Could my being that focused on something (my need to get out of that meeting) really use up all of my brain's "bandwidth"?

Then tonight when I was doing Day 6 of the Structured Education Program I began the journaling task, which was to write about one of the past events that may have angered/upset us. When I started writing I had the usual pain in my upper left glute area radiating down my leg and to my toes. After 20 minutes of intense writing about my dad's second divorce and being separated for life from my sisters (yes, I was angry I guess) the pain was gone.

The tightness is still there, and it hurts to bend over. But the pain that I get from sitting was completely gone. I made the pain go away by focusing intensely on a traumatic event from my childhood? Yes, that was a question.

Thanks for reading!
    Archaea

Becca and Forest like this.
  2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Good for you Archaea! This is great progress. Yes, YOU made the pain go away. You've proved to yourself you have the power, and it will get stronger and stronger as you learn more and dig deeper.
    Happy Healing! Leslie

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

As someone who is in the teaching profession, I totally relate to the stress here. I have to admit preparing for class, especially writing exams, is one of the most stressful things in my life.

Why do symptoms fade away when you journal? Probably because you are soothing yourself. I know it has been a while since you posted this, but when you journal do you focus on the emotions you felt or on the event itself? It could be, your symptoms went away because your attention was on your emotions instead of worrying about what you need to get done.