1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain in the morning

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lina82, Jul 3, 2018.

1. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

I wake up almost every morning with severe headache and pain in legs, thighs and back - sometimes arms too. The strange thing is that when I'm supposed to sleep I might go to bed with almost no pain, feeling tired and ready to sleep. But it is like something is triggering the pain when I'm supposed to sleep. It "blossoms" anf spreads in my whole body. Therefore I have no chance to sleep without sleeping medication.

And in the morning the pain is absolutely terrible. I dont know how to handle this pain or try to change it when it becomes worse while sleeping. I have no chance to do anything about it!

Do you have any thoughts or advice on this? I have experienced some hard things the last year and I'm probably traumatized and I'm also suffering from a lot of stress, so I understand that the TMS gets worse then. But during the night?

2. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Is it actually during the night, or during the early morning? All stress hormones are at their highest early in the morning. (Cortisol, etc.)
    I've worked through stress disorder and things were/are always worse in the morning. So that's not completely unusual.

I advise caution with the sleep meds, you don't to create a separate problem. Perhaps it's time to work with a TMS therapist and work through some methods that might help you get to sleep, and some that might help you find a mindset/routine that helps you work through the morning difficulty? I'm assuming you've see a doctor about the issues and have good reason to believe it's TMS.

I can tell you that waking up with strong headache and neck ache has been a recurring theme in my stress disorder over the years. (Comes and goes.) In fact I woke up with a headache today, out of the blue. A hot shower, a walk and breakfast and I'm already improving.

Again, make sure you've seen a doctor and there's no medical issue... but what you describe sounds a lot like stress/anxiety disorder.

3. Gusto

Gusto Peer Supporter

I mirror what BinLA says, I wake very early and symptomatic .. but if I can accept it calmly and spend time focusing on my breath, sip some water etc my symptoms reduce, a good indication it is stress hormone based and a direct result of an over stressed limbic system. Your cortisol spikes early in the morning (and has several other spikes throughout the day based on meals etc), when we have over stressed our bodies they mismanage the cortisol pattern and homeostasis keeps this new pattern perpetuating. Focus on stress reduction, rest, mediation and accepting the symptoms and they will ever so slowly revert back.. but it is a long process. And the more you distress about the state you are in the more you keep the fire lit.