1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain Gone, Anxiety free sailing

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bennyvk, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Bennyvk

Bennyvk New Member

Hi, I have had almost every TMS symptom there is the past years and now am pain free, although now it is mental symptoms like anxiety. I know it is a TMS equivalent so its just another symptom? or treat it different? Just looking for any advice Thanks!

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

This helped me (and many others). All the best!

TG957, TrustIt and Northwood like this.
  3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Absolutely, anxiety can be a sign of an overactive sympathetic nervous system system caused by emotions. This happened to me as well - the good news is that it’s not permanent. What helps you feel relaxed? Are there specific situations triggering the anxiety?

4. Marls

Marls Well known member

hi Benny, what if you don’t have ‘mental symptoms like anxiety’. What if you’re only feeling just a touch bit anxious?
    I think that after easing our extended pain, maybe we are all still hyper vigilant and if there’s no pain, it’s easy to feel anxious just looking for pain. Something’s different!! Up the vigilance!!!
    Different words have a profound affect on how we sense any threat. If I reached out to you for help, I bet you would be kind, compassionate and so understanding. Are you being this kind to yourself? You’ve done an amazing job so far.
    I’ve just read a great article on compassion for anxiousness and it finishes with
    “I feel like I’ve become a really nice friend to myself. I’m happy to walk around with me in my head”. I love it.
    (Hope I’m allowed to quote that!)
    Not too sure if I’m writing this to you Benny, or writing it to me, but I hope that loving and supporting ourselves just a little bit more helps keep our hyper vigilant self less worried.

TrustIt likes this.
  5. Bennyvk

Bennyvk New Member

Thank you!

6. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Congratulations to you for working through your pain! Marls' comment on watching anxiously for return of pain seems insightful to me. For my part, I'm in a a state of fairly continual low-grade pain and glute-cramping lately; when the pain recedes, I worry about it returning which is a kind of anxiety, and is very much tied into anticipating the pain. It's very consuming and depressing. To deal with this, I am working on being in more in the present, accepting things as they are. Meditation has helped--simple mindfulness, noticing the endless run of my thoughts without judging them. For inspiration in this vein, been reading Kabat-Zinn's insightful little book, Wherever You Go, There You Are. I wish you well!

7. Marls

Marls Well known member

glute-cramping. Hmmmm. Have you tried magnesium? Just thinking out loud Northwood. Cheers marls

8. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Yup. Doing magnesium. Thanks for the thought!