1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

PAIN AFTER MASSAGE (PHYSIOTHERAPY)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pietro Carloni, May 22, 2018.

1. Pietro Carloni

Pietro Carloni Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,
    today is a very difficult day and I need a comfort.
    Yesterday I was at the physiotherapist to try to resolve the contractures at the top of the back and neck (I'm carrying my baby in my arms and in the morning I wake up full of pain).
    After the decontracting massage I started to feel a lot of pain in the manipulated parts, the pain was so strong that I felt nauseous and headache. I spent a hellish night and I woke up really in pieces and very agitated. If I could go back, I would avoid the massage, but now what do I do?
    A part of me had alerted me about the physiotherapist and now I'm living a nightmare.
    This morning I forced myself to go to work, but I can not divert attention from this pain to the shoulder blades and cervical. I also got a headache and I do not know how to get out of it.
    The physiotherapist says that it is normal after the manipulation of yesterday a worsening of physical conditions, but I would never have imagined up to this point.
    I think I underestimated the TMS and now I pay the consequences.
    How do you behave when you are prisoners of the fear of being sick?

2. jsabina

jsabina New Member

Hi Pietro,
    I can relate because last week I went to my physio (which I went for the last few months but unfortunately didnt solve my pain). I woke up the morning after that o couldn't move my neck!
    My pain wasn't nearly that bad before!!!
    I just got better on the weekend!

I have no good suggestions for you because I am still struggling myself (for another pain glute leg which is tormenting me..).
    What I have done has been trying to read more sarno and this forum

I haven't started journaling yet and have long road ahead..
    I am sure other people will have better suggestions!

All the best!

3. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

I used to have horrible pain after a massage. They were medical massages and not deep tissue in the slightest, but it didn’t matter. I’d be in hell the next day. I was so fearful for any body work after that that I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place. It sucked!
    I started going to a gentle yoga class. Even that was painful. Again, the day after the class, I would wake up in horrible pain. I started doing it at least two times a week and it made a huge difference in my pain level. I have been going now at least 3 times a week for the past 3 weeks or so. My mental and physical health have improved dramatically. If you have the opportunity, give it a chance.
    I hope you’re doing better.
    Beth

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I have two different experiences with massages:
    - pain (and headache when the neck/upper back is involved) after a massage; the roughness of the massage, the initial pain/tightness and the height of my stress levels are strongly linked to this effect and it can take a couple of days for the pain to die down.
    - pain and swellings after a massage during a time when I had pressure-induced hives. I got a massage of my calves during lunch time and I could barely walk after working out in the evening. It cleared up after a day though.
    In my experience the first massage in a long time is often the worst when it comes to post-pain; just like you get the worst muscle ache after the first time you hit the gym in a long time.
    Just tell yourself that it will go away. If you don't like the way this person massages you, ask him/her to take it a bit easier the next time. If you still find it unbearable, skip it, it isn't necessary when it is TMS.