1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Oxygen deprivation issue with TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by DianeRadvanski, Jul 26, 2016.

1. DianeRadvanski

DianeRadvanski New Member

Hello all. I have been wondering afrer doing some reading and seeing my TMS doc twice. I had so many questions I forgot to ask him.

He said 40% of the TMS people suffer with is due to oxygen deprivation to that area. This makes alot of sense to me but made me wonder how do we improve the oxygen to that area? If I could I would walk.

Maybe thru diaphramatic breathing? Also is the norm for people to have a primary doc or TMS MD as well as a TMS therapist? It's a shame these therapists dont accept insurance some Medicare but most private pay.

Anyway thank you for your time!

2. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

Interesting question.
    In my experience, breathing exercises don't work to restore oxygen to the affected part of the body and therefore relieve pain. Here's why: the oxygen deprivation is caused by the brain, NOT an inability on the part of your lungs to provide oxygen to that body part. If the brain wants to create pain via oxygen deprivation as a way of avoiding painful emotions, it's going to do that until the emotions are acknowledged. The brain's gonna do what the brain's gonna do.
    Now, breathing exercises MAY induce a relaxed state in the mind and body, which can lower pain levels, but everything has to go through the brain.

3. DianeRadvanski

Good to know...I like the abdominal breathing...makes sense what you said. Thanks for your feeback!

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

EricFeelsHisWay is spot on, you can't increase it directly (a yogi could), but you can get into a state of being (balance) that your system restores and it flows again.

It's more than 40% caused by oxygen reduction. The more time passes the more Dr. Sarno is shown to correct. It may be mild, but it's devastating.

SO

5. DianeRadvanski

So when u say it's devestating I get a sense of powerlessness and then u said the word SO...did u mean to write more about it.

When I was using Heart Rate Variability boofeedback with people who has Fibromyalgia it actually increases their baroflex responses (pressure receptors in the heart and main arteries) which in turn rendered their autonomic nervous system to function more effectively. U can see the pubs under Drs. Bronya and Evgeny Vaschillo, myself and Dr. Paul Leher. That is why I was hopeful and inquired here. Also Dr. Richard Gevirtz in Cali has done alot if work with diaghramatic breathing specifically called resonance frequency breathing and chronic pain.

Thanks!

6. Steve Ozanich

SO are my initials, I guess I could write more though.

You can increase oxygen if you are well trained, but if the brain's purpose is not dealt with it will keep reducing the flow, repeatedly. So you're in a loop you can't get out of by dealing with the physical aspects of the ANS. It's a mistake made many times before. Plus the same neural pathways are still there providing for the thoughts to travel to the body.

You can't heal TMS physically. The success is in the deeper understanding. You can get short term relief from the physical but we're seeking permanent healing.

SO <~~~~ me, the end

MWsunin12 and DianeRadvanski like this.
  7. DianeRadvanski

Lol....sorry about the initials part:) I understand what you mean now thanks for taking the time to elaborate. Glad you are doing well -- very nice to hear and encouraging.

-- Diane

8. Steve Ozanich

When I was married my wife's name was Susan, people called us SO n SO.

I hope you feel better soon Diane of Radvanski-Moralesville, or DRM.

9. DianeRadvanski

Lol...I go by DR..:) esp since I got my doctorate...husband doesn't mind!

10. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

The biggest problem I am having is being able to get it in my mind that my symptoms are benign. I have days where every little pain/twitch bothers me and keeps me in the worry cycle.

11. Steve Ozanich

mdh157, you're having trouble accepting that you're ok, and focused on worry because you need your diversion right now. It's ok and normal. Everyone goes that route. Your anxiety is high so to alleviate its intensity your brain shifts awareness to your body, it's a coping strategy to reduce anxiety, as in OCDing.

Work only on your fear, the rest will fall into place. Concentrate!

mdh157 and MWsunin12 like this.
  12. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I have been Steve but I don't seem to be making much progress. That in itself is frustrating.