1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Overuse injury or did TMS move?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Manny, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

Hi I've been recovering from pelvic pain using sarno's approach. I began running, sitting, and lifting without pain, and my symptoms were diminishing. I became so excited after going ten months without being able to exercise, that I began running every day. Monday I did a short but very steep hike, then ran two miles. I ran nearly three on Tuesday, and immediately afterward I noticed sharp pain in my right buttock, spasms around my sacrum, and a very tight low back. I live in a mountainous area of Tennessee, and I had some very serious muscle soreness prior to running Tuesday. So I'm thinking it's an overuse injury due to weakness and over training.Howevet it has not gotten much better over the last four days. The spasms have subsided some but every step is moderate painful. I'm not sure whether to run again as though it's tms, as I deeply fear making it worse,or if I should give it time to heal up. What do y'all think?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Your body just used the distraction of being sore to start a new TMS symptom. The pain you described is 100% TMS

Your soreness is normal. The TMS is trying to f with you. You don't have to ease up, BUT when you're running you might want to shift your attention to what is going on in your emotional, mental life right now... particularly anger, fear, shame and any other unsavory emotions (anger's usually number one).

I have been hitting and throwing every day during this quarantine, because each day I think "Oh... this might be my last chance for a minute to play ball" Subsequently, I have gotten quite stronger than I was before....but I have started each day sore from the day before....and then it rained one day and I HAD to take a day off . The next day after the rest I was STRONGER ... As an athlete it is good to take some rest just to let the challenged part get stronger .....We TMS types tend to NOT do that (LOL)

the TMS has nothing to do with working out OTHER than if you've got some crap going on 'down there' it might give the brain a thing to latch onto to make a distraction...

Meat and potatoes TMS. Just keep studying the literature and asking yourself questions.

"What is this pain keeping me from being angry/afraid/ashamed of?"

meditating on those will end the pain

peace

3. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Baseball;
    I read your story before about getting buttock pain searing nerve pain then dull ache.
    That’s exactly what I have but after 18 months still not going. Had all the work ups meg.
    It’s there constantly, at rest a dull ache at any work after short time searing pain.
    I’m all in with TMS so do I just keep going for as long as I can when I’m in pain. I’ve tried but it’s really fn sore?

4. Manny

Manny New Member

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Baseball65. I'll keep working at it, as you recommended. Very much appreciated.

Baseball65 likes this.
  5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

PM'd you.

When you know it's TMS (and you do) no activity will make it worse, BUT since activity tends to stimulate blood flow, quitting activity can be uncomfortable. I am not in pain but get all sorts of crampy/gross/stiff when I have to stay indoors too long.....We were designed to do stuff by God. Being sedentary is unnatural.

check your messages

peace

jimmylaw9 likes this.
  6. Manny

Manny New Member

"As an athlete it is good to take some rest just to let the challenged part get stronger .....We TMS types tend to NOT do that (LOL)" - Glad it's not just me! Great point.

Baseball65 likes this.