1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Overcoming rsi

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by newarrior, Mar 10, 2017.

1. newarrior

newarrior Peer Supporter

Optional Contact Information:

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    After 6 weeks of driving for Lyft RSI came out of the blue and sidelined me as of today. Any thoughts ? Suggestions ? I stopped driving, went on an anti inflammatory diet, started meditating, noticed when I am stressed, holding tension, magnesium bath, medications, supplements, exercise, etc etc. I read Sarno's Mindbody Connection in 2005 and just threw it away a few months ago as I thought I didn't need it. I reordered a new copy off the web today.. Thanks !

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, Newarrior.

First of all, I wouldn't build up too much structure around a symptom that can be treated psychologically. I believe that creating too many rituals and treatments for TMS symptoms gives them more power and attention. TMS symptoms feed off of fear and preoccupation so the less that you try to "problem solve" the symptom, the better. Focus on tending to the fear and anxiety that the symptom creates and practice good emotional hygiene by journaling and making space for your feelings. Meditate, reduce stress levels, tend to your fear and anxiety and do not get into a cycle of avoidance.

This brings me to the driving. Honestly, I would get back to driving as soon as possible. Don't allow it to become a strong conditioned response. Challenge it early and often by resuming the activity and reminding yourself that it is not the driving that is causing you pain but the fear, tension, and preoccupation. The longer you avoid the activity, the stronger your fear and avoidance will become.

It sounds like you've overcome TMS in the past and you will do it again this time.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.