1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Out of time and need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by had, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. had

had Peer Supporter

I am not new to TMS. I used the theory to cure chronic back pain after simply reading Sarno's books. I have use it to reduce some neurpopathic pain after reading Dr. Schubiner's book and doing the program. I also know not everything is TMS. This always puts us in a bind as everyone beats into you that "you have to believe it's TMS" but that's not realistic for many people in many situations. It's easy to do with certain symptoms where you know there hasn't been an injury and testing shows nothing wrong. It's not easy to do at all with vague or unsure test results and that's a lot of people's issues. The preface is to avoid people trying to convince me t hat TMS is real, or that all I have to do is "believe it".

My primary problem now is after years of disability and a terrible life due to surgery that was done poorly (real issues not TMS) I finally got an opportunity for real work and an independent future. A once in a lifetime offer that is working around my disabilities, that I am about to lose if I cannot solve this issue. I have some variation of "eye strain" when using any LED backlit display and everything is LED backlit now. I can use 12yo CCFL displays all day long with bad posture without any issue.. I use an LED backlit laptop/tablet/phone whatever for 10-30min and I get tingling in my face..then around to neck and upper back. The same muscles you feel if you squint and lean forward to read something. My eyes have tested as ok and no cause found. I The symptoms started about 6 months before I even knew this job was a possibility. I was simply trying to upgrade some very old computers to newer used stuff...so its not as if the pressure of needing to use computers to do this job triggered this. It came out of the blue with no acute stress present....just the same old stuff.

There are a few forums dedicated to such things and people have been struggling for a decade to find out why they cannot deal with LED lighting. For some people it's as simple as getting a non-flickering panel (LEDs often use flickering that is "imperceptible" to the eye to adjust brightness, but even things that we cannot "see" are requiring eye muscles and brain coordination to filter out. Some people are more sensitive to this that others) or changing font sizes or adjusting other ergonomics.I have done everything I can find or imagine that could contribute. Changed ergonomics, tech (drivers, displays, OS etc), stopped meds and coffee, eye doc, blue light filters on and on. The fact I can use an old and nearly dead display for 16 hours a day with no issue but not newer LED displays lends itself toward tech as the root cause but I'd love to be wrong.

Some people with this problem hoard old and dying tech, some use very expensive and very limiting alternatives like small e-ink displays. None of the workarounds I have seen are acceptable and reduce my quality of life to an even lower level when so many other things are "special needs" and I am on the edge as it is. So if anyone has some actionable and practical advice I am all ears. Just please don't waste your time and effort with vague ideas about soothing and not worrying about the outcome and whatever else. I've tried all that...for a very long time...no effect for this issue. I believe this is likely a tech issue that hasn't been uncovered yet...as many such things are and are ignored and victims blamed as being mental etc. Many know medical issues were called psychogenic in the past and weren't so one again not everything is TMS. If it IS TMS I'd be glad since that would open up doors....but its not responded to anything thats ever worked before and I am out of time. If I cannot take this job now...which involves a long distance move...then I am homeless/dead in short order...it's my literal last chance and I cannot reduce my quality of life anymore...I don't have the endurance or flexibility left.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. had

had Peer Supporter

Nevermind...delete this post please mods...cannot do it myself for some reason. Was grasping for straws anyway.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I was googling to see what was causing my face to flush and burn in front of my laptop and came across this forum thread - I am a complete ignoramus about the different types of screens and have no idea if any of it will be of help or relevance to you, but I just thought I'd post it up in case https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/lcd-screens-causing-face-irritation-and-burning/page/2/ (Topic: LCD screens causing face irritation and 'burning' | PC Monitors | Page 2) (Apologies in advance if it's just a waste of your time.)