1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Osteoarthritis of the hip

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sprocket, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket New Member

Hi All,

I am new to this site but have read Dr. Sarno's and Steve O's books and have been practicing their techniques for the past 6 months. I was originally diagnosed with mild spinal stenosis but constant hip pain (also in left groin and butt areas) caused me to have an x-ray recently which shows "marked severe osteoarthritis" of the left hip.

I'm starting to wonder if this is still TMS or if I'm doomed to hip replacement. Despite my best efforts I have had no reduction in my pain for the past 6 months.

I would be extremely grateful for any guidance you may have.

2. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I was diagnose with hip arthritis too. That was years ago. Surgeon love me. They want to operate on me to save me from all these pain and give me back my life. Sarno saved me. It cost me less than $10 to buy his book.

MWsunin12, Plumcrazy, Dahlia and 3 others like this.
  3. Sprocket

Sprocket New Member

Thank you, Balto! Your words really lifted my spirits on a very rainy Thursday. May I ask how long it took for you to be rid of your pain (realizing that I'm not supposed to count the days...)?

Lainey likes this.
  4. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

It comes and goes but after about 6 months it went away for good.

5. Plumcrazy

Plumcrazy Peer Supporter

I came close to seeing a doctor for my hip pain, last summer, too. I have osteopenia in my hips, and also severe scoliosis of the spine, so I was quite certain that my hip would need serious attention. Was I on the way to a hip replacement? Joint replacements run in my family.

After a nudge from my husband to re-read Sarno's Healing Back Pain, which we had bought decades ago for my hubby's back issues, I did. Today, that hip feels great. Of course, with my mindset, I am dealing with a new set of physical issues, which is why I am revisiting the boards. But it is not the hips!!

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. Sprocket

Sprocket New Member

Thanks for your comments, Plumcrazy. I'm really starting to wonder if my hip pain is not due to TMS since I've made no progress at all after reading the Sarno and Ozanich books and applying the recommended techniques for 7 months now. I really don't want surgery but am getting so tired and beaten down by the pain, even though I try to think psychologically. I'm glad you and many others are doing so well so quickly (although I must admit to being jealous!).

7. Plumcrazy

Plumcrazy Peer Supporter

Sprocket, there is no shame in the possibility that you may need surgery. I think there are cases where that is really the only option. I keep trying to tell myself that I will be different, but it could come back to bite me. LOL. Keep us posted and all my best to you!