1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

On toxic shame and how to reslove it

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Birdie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Hi ;)!

Here's a very powerful article on toxic shame and how to work on it.
    I guess for many TMS sufferers, especially those who are dealing with early trauma and attachment issues, there can be toxic shame at the root of the pain. Often these feelings of toxic shame were defended by different parts (in total = dominance of a so called false self).
    Hope you enjoy the articel, I already practice some of the exercices since about one year and noticed some improvement (not really in my painlevels but in "false self issues" like feeling empty and so on)

http://lindagraham-mft.net/resource...power-of-mindful-empathy-to-heal-toxic-shame/

Ha ha, just saw I wrote reslove....of course I meant resolve....

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Birdie, thanks loads for posting about toxic shame and that article.
    I just read some of it and will read it all later today.

Toxic shame seems to me to be a lousy name for what amounts to low self-esteem,
    but it does grab the attention.

I'm working on revising and adding to the forum TMS in Pop Culture and
    while reading the article several classic movies came to mind about heroines
    who had toxic shame or low self-esteem. Two that immediately came to mind
    were "Now, Voyager" in which Bette Davis' mother kept her feeling unwanted,
    especially by men, and "The Barretts of Wimpole Street" in which Norma Shearer
    played the poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning who had to escape from her father (Charles
    Laughton) who did the same thing as Davis' mother. It was similar to
    "The Heiress" with Olivia DeHavilland.

We can't let anyone put us down. If they try to, we should know we're far better
    than they are. We're really pretty great.

A very interesting subject.