1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Old Habbits Die Hard!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nate, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

hi all, i was doin pretty well for about 4 weeks and even started back at the gym but the last week i have been having pain again and slowly getting worse and more wide spread. It used to be mainly sciatica pain but now my whole upper back and shoulder blades are hurting as well. Anyway i noticed that after a few days went passed i started back into my old thinking such as, "when will this go away?" and "will it ever even go away?" sounds dtupid and i get annoyed with myself thinking this way! Sometimes i also feel confused like i read so much from here and all the different links and when i confronted with persistant pain its like i jus forget everything and are left with no choice but to feel sorry for my self and i hate that! after all the work Ive read and journaling etc i should know by now but its like my brain freezes and in an instant everything is lost. Does anyone know maybe a simple way to remeber the key components when faced with an attack of pain or a emotional situation. Especially fear is my worst!! Im always thinking this is never goin to go away, Im stuck like this forever but i know thats just obsurred to think that someone for no apparent reason would be in pain FOREVER! And what does everyone mean to first check to make sure its nothing serious? Is this like cancer and rheumatoid arthritis etc? Surely if i had one of them i would no after 3 years? wouldnt I? Great to always vent a bit on here now to finish my glass of red and relax. Well try too :)

2. Mooreck

Mooreck New Member

Hi Nate,

I don't know if this will help but I know exactly how you feel and what you are saying here. I guess realising that it is happening is the first step towards it not happening.

I don't think you have to do anything as such just accept it and hopefully the purpose of the pain is lost.

Take care and I hope you continue to get better.

3. Emily

Emily Peer Supporter

One suggestion I have is to start an evidence sheet (if you have not done so already). You can then refer to this list as 'proof' that the pain is TMS whenever the pain becomes worse or when you go through an emotional time. It is an easy way to keep yourself focused on the TMS diagnosis. This thread does an excellent job of explaining what an evidence sheet is and why it may be beneficial.

Hope this helps!
    Emily

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Nate, after I finished the SEP I stopped journaling. My pain came back and depression. When I feel anger I feel nothing. I am not aware of anger at all. It just moves in an nanosecond into my body as pain and depression. I have found I have to journal almost everyday to manage my emotions and symptoms.

Stock Trader likes this.
  5. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

Stella,
    what time you journal during the day? How many times a day? How many minutes?

6. Stella

Stella Well known member

I don't think there is a way to journal perfectly. I try to journal everyday. Sometimes I journal for 5 minutes ....somtimes for 20 minutes. Usually I journal in the evening to get things off my mind hoping I sleep better so my mind won't be spinning. Usually just once per day.