1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Old age & TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jilly, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Do we get old and have aches and pains or is it just years and years of TMS and we don't know the difference ?

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

remember tms is tension-most who have tms r between 30 and 60-so tms is in older people
    but the majority r in the thinking yrs-when we retire we have less tension (supposed too anyway)
    -while were wondering about getting older and retireing we tense more to mental strain-work
    family-etc...its a dis-ease that we can and do reverse thru reverse conditioning after accepting sarnos
    truths

Jilly likes this.
  3. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I'm seeing the far reaching impacts of this ... elderly people can have quality retirement living and not accept those 'aches and pains' as an expected part of growing older. They/we don't need to accept it as the norm.

4. tarala

tarala Well known member

Walt might weigh in here. I've found his discovery that aches and pains can be TMS rather than old age to be very helpful and inspiring.

Jilly likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

you got it jilly

6. Lori

Lori Well known member

I believe it's largely expectation. My 30something eye doc was shocked that I don't need glasses for seeing close-up --just distance. She basically said i'm lucky but the luck won't hold out forever and to expect that I'll have trouble seeing close-up things soon. As I walked out I said to myself "that may be true for you BUT IT IS NOT FOR ME!" Stop the negative programing! augh!

There is an interesting study in the book called CounterClockwise about a bunch of seniors who were grouped together, and how so-called aging issues are indeed belief and/or mind-induced.

People expect things to happen as they age, and they get what they're expecting. I'm trying to make sure that does not happen to me. So far, so good!:)

While retirement eliminates work-stressors, it does not eliminate thoughts on our mortality, etc. Aging as an issue was specifically mentioned somewhere in either Dr. Sarno's book or by him at his lecture. So even when someone is older and retired and mostly enjoying life, I still think there can be emotional trash on family issues, the should-haves, etc. and other stressors that cause physical issues. Which is why I think learning about the mind's connection to the body is important for everyone regardless of their age!

Jilly and veronica73 like this.
  7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

amen lori-amen-
    you really got the understanding