1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

OCD question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by gx92, Dec 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. gx92

gx92 Peer Supporter

Hi all, i hope someone has experience with ocd or know if this fits into ocd. I am currently trying dr schubiners programm but i had to make a break right now because of intense rumination suddenly if i should better follow his program or the SEP. I couldnt stop ruminanting for hours what the best solution is. Constant checking the SEP if it would be better, overanalyzing every detail, ruminating and worrying in which Program i will understand everything perfect. My god i couldnt stop this until right now lmao. If these are heavy ocd thoughts, i could treat it like tms but im not so familiƤr with ocd

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Pick one and go. Now that I got free of OCD I can see how frustrating it must be for the people around the sufferers. We spin in a circle with our foot nailed to the floor !!!

There is an Old Yogi Berra quote that was also the title of his book I read

"When you come to a fork in the road, Take it!"

He wasn't just being his old confusing, funny self. He lived in a place where a road forked a few blocks before his house, but both roads turned towards his house, so EITHER way got you there.

Either way will get you there. This is Not learning about "SEP" or "Dr Schubiner"... this is learning about yourself, anger, embarassing emotions and other things...We have been conditioned to seek out distractions and our body has gone along for the ride. We learn why we need the distractions, and we get little mini-epiphanies and eventually solve our problem, but since the awareness is going to come from YOU, either way gets you there.

In life when you make a choice you either get results, or a lesson and from the lesson maybe later you make a different choice, and then get results; but people who make NO choice hemming and hawing end up in a third class.... no lesson and no change! Limbo....Yeccchh!

pick one and Go!

backhand and gx92 like this.
  3. gx92

gx92 Peer Supporter

Ty needed those words, I already startet unlearn your pain, but i suddenly couldnt stop ruminanting. This anxiety is super strong, but i learn more and can notice it more now as just anxiety

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Baseball65 likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-i-would-change.24382/page-2#post-127259 (Day 20 - What I would change)

I don't know how many of our OCD discussions you have perused, but that is a link to an explanation of "STOP" therapy. That was the key for me to begin to feel empowered over the OCD and Not fear it. I was fortunate to have been treated by one of the first Drs. To employ it and it has really saved me from slipping down the rabbit hole many times. It took a minute to work,but I stuck with it ; it was worth it.

That erased the intrusive thought circle, but I am still a little compulsive. That doesn't bother me as much. The compulsive/perfectionist part is actually beneficial in some ways. I am a Carpenter/Painter/Plasterer type. I can actually ask for a little more money than a lot of my peers who aren't as 'compulsive' because people like their stuff perfect. However, when it starts a TMS symptom or some anxiety I "STOP"

When I ask "What is REALLY bugging me?" it is fear. Fear of not being good enough, not being able to take care of myself, Not being able to take care of my dog, etc.etc. It is NEVER what the OCD/Anxiety is telling me it is. Just like in TMS, it isn't my back/leg/neck, it is my relationships, resentments and fear.

There really is a lot of freedom and joy at the end of this and I believe it is available for all of us!

JanAtheCPA and gx92 like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Actually, when symptoms increase shortly after starting a program, that means that your primitive TMS brain is freaking out and trying to push back - which means that you are on the right track! It's not easy, but do your best to push through it anyway.

Your poor brain literally thinks that if you don't stay alert (by ruminating or engaging in other obsessive behaviors) that you will not see the sabre tooth tiger that is waiting to eat you! Your job is to convince your brain that this won't happen.

My most effective technique was (and still is) self-talk. Try talking back to your brain calmly and wth love and compassion. Tell it that you are safe, and that doing this work is not dangerous.

You can do it!

Baseball65 and gx92 like this.
  6. gx92

gx92 Peer Supporter

Thank you both for these Tips, i will include them. I learn more and more about myself and i do notice those thoughts and behaviours more , it all makes so much sense now

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I just read the thread that @Baseball65 recommends, where he describes the "STOP!" technique. Very powerful stuff, and really great insights from the thread OP and participants, about "doing the work". I must have been offline back then to have missed this incredible discussion. The OCD insights are excellent.

Baseball65 likes this.