1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Normal abnormalities?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by avalon22, Oct 9, 2018.

1. avalon22

avalon22 Newcomer

What did Dr. Sarno consider to be a "normal abnormality"?

I have a 12mm protrusion in my L5S1 disc. Is this abnormal as in, able to cause pain structurally?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Basically all herniated discs are considered normal abnormalities in the world of TMS.
    Lots of folks have recovered from their TMS pain who have large hernations, stenosis and countless other mri findings.

avalon22 likes this.
  3. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Read under Success Stories, "Four years pain free - My TMS Story" by Jwhitacre. I cringed when I read what was wrong with him, yet he recovered and is pain free.

avalon22 and BloodMoon like this.
  4. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Something like 50% of adults have 'abnormalities'. They're normal.

Remember, the brain produces pain, not the body. Without your upper brain, there is no pain (think anesthesia, which quiets the upper brain). No matter the state of the body and all the signals it's sending to the brain, if the brain doesn't produce pain, you won't feel it.

Lunarlass66, avalon22 and EileenS like this.
  5. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Free of Fear, Thank you for posting what has helped you the most. I took a look at the Peter O'Sullivan video and the Mycuppajo website as I hadn't heard of them before.
    On 'mycuppajo.com' is a quote I wish newcomers to this tmswiki site or anyone still stuck could read over and over, "I got curious about pain and being human, trying to understand it rather than to find the silver bullet that would fix me."

Lunarlass66 and avalon22 like this.
  6. Free of Fear

7. avalon22

avalon22 Newcomer

Man, Dr. Schechter really f***ed me up by telling me my protrusion was causing the pain. Hearing that from a supposed TMS doctor can really do your head in. Ughhhhh

8. Free of Fear

how's it all going?

9. avalon22

avalon22 Newcomer

@Free of Fear it's going ok. Pain is worse even though I'm still taking the medication that was prescribed- I have a theory that since I am accepting that it is TMS the meds are no longer working as a placebo. I'm reading Steve Ozanich's book and trying to think psychological. I haven't had a lot of time to journal/do the program on here. I'm a stay at home mom.

10. avalon22

avalon22 Newcomer

Also, my pain today reminds me so much of growing pains when I was growing up. It feels like a deep bone pain in my leg. Different than the normal sciatic nerve pain I had been experiencing. And I know Dr Sarno thinks growing pains are TMS!

Lizzy and Free of Fear like this.
  11. Free of Fear

Your theory makes sense.

I can't imagine dealing with this as a full-time stay at home mom! You are really dedicated and strong.