1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

News article re: necessity of spinal fusion surgery

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

What is necessary?
    Great question. Crumpled medical opinion crushes wider issues. Again.
    Thanks for the link honey, such things make a difference.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I read the article. Thanks, Ellen.
    The doctor's attorney says all of the operations were necessary.
    Necessary so the doctor could make almost 2 million dollars a year.
    I hope he didn't make anyone spine even worse from the surgery.

I could use a hernia operation but no way will I get one because at age 83
    I'd be a sitting duck in a hospital.

My darling dog gave it to me 12 years ago when I first got her and she
    pulled so hard on the leash. It's not painful so I'll just keep living with it.

I went in the hospital five years ago for a bowel obstruction and they
    opened me up to find out why. They never did learn why, but I did.
    It was TMS.

I bet most if not all that doctor's operations could have been avoided
    if the patients knew about TMS.

Ellen likes this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Too many surgical 'procedures' (many of which have dubious health benefits for the patient), are becoming routine and are being done on an assembly line basis. Not being an M.D. I cannot diagnose and treat, of course, but my personal advice to a patient contemplating an orthopedic surgical procedure, like a shoulder, back or knee operation, is to wait a good long while to see if the pain goes away on its own. My own gut feeling is that if the "injury" was not the result of blunt force trauma or a puncture wound, it's best to avoid the surgeon's knife and bill for as long as possible until you see if self-healing takes care of it. Too many people I know have had spinal fusion operations with no improvement in their mobility or reduction in their pain levels. Likewise, all the people I know who've had arthroscopic surgery on their knee have never been able to run again. Similarly, everyone I know who's had hip or knee replacement has never really come back to a full range of activity. Often enough, such patients suffer other health problems later on. Whether their subsequent heart condition or cancer was a result of the trauma caused by their original surgery no one can tell. But any surgery is an invasive procedure that puts a great deal of stress on your body and should not be performed without a dang good reason. Yes, this Washington Post article does make me good and mad!

Ellen likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good advice, Bruce. Hospitals are full of sick people, as are doctors' offices. I stay away from both if I can, and I usually can.
    A friend said he was in a major hospital and was given another patient's medication. Like mailmen, a lot of hospital attendants
    can't read.

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Tremendous variations in quality of service (QoS) in a hospital according to which attendant, nurse or, for that matter, doctor is involved at that given moment. In any event, sure glad I didn't get surgery to correct my torn rotator cuff as was recommended by the orthopedic surgeon who could "just fit me in" despite the fact that patients were lined up around the block waiting for the procedure. My old doctor gave me a range of motion studies and said the operation was unnecessary. Healed up just fine. The MRI said I had a total catastrophic tear, but the range of motion tests my old doctor gave me indicated it was only partial. Now, five years later I've healed up completely. But what would have happened if I'd elected to have the surgery? At least 9 months of rehab. What they don't tell you is that you could have a blood clot while you're under the knife that could lead to a stroke or cardiac arrest. No surgery or other invasive procedure is routine. Always has risks. Better to save your money and heal yourself. The whole point is my old GP gave me a range of motion studies and all the big hospital did was send me in for an MRI. The eye doesn't lie guys. First, take a good long look at the patient before making your next payment on that little red Ferrari!

I also know a beautiful young girl in her early 20s who just lost her father, whom she adored. Last year, when he was only 50, they gave him total hip replacement surgery. This year out riding his bike he went into cardiac arrest and died a week later. Was it a coincidence? We'll never really know, will we? Yet they're banging out those hip replacement surgeries like they're selling raffle tickets at a model show. Safe as milk? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? In any event, being inactive for 9 months after surgery is a perfect time to put on a lot of weight while you're immobile. That really can have long-term health consequences me thinks.

I have friend who says, "It's okay to listen to doctors, especially if you don't believe them".