1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to TMS Please Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Zhanka, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Zhanka

Zhanka Newcomer

Hi,

I've decided to reach out and post what I have been going through for the past several months. I have to be honest I'm not fully convinced that what I'm experiencing is TMS which is why I'm reaching out to you guys. About 3 and half months ago I got sick and had a horrible sinus infection. After taking antibiotics for 10 days and not getting any relief, I went back to the doctor and he prescribed another dose of a different antibiotic for another 10 days. I felt better, although not 100% I decided to go to Florida on vacation. When I returned, two days later I got a horrible flue and was in bed with a fever for 5 days. The doctor perscribed Tamiflu. I felt incredible fatigue and started to get pins and needle like pain that started in my thumbs and moved to my other fingers, left arm, left foot and up my leg then to my right hand, foot and leg. I felt numbness in my feet and leg and arms when I sleep. Horrified, I went to a bunch of doctors did a million blood tests, went to a neurologist, did an MRI and other tests that were all normal. They said that what I was experiencing was post viral and should go away eventually. I started getting horrible anxiety, feeling extremely depressed and hopeless because the pain continued. I can't treat it with anything and I haven't been able to live a normal life in total almost 4 months. The nerve pain has been going on for a month and half. There has been some improvement of less pins and needle like pain in my fingers and feet but not much. Also have been experiencing sciatica. My left side of my body is worse than right. Three days ago, I started itching all over my body and getting hives. This has never happened to me before. Not sure what I could be having an allergic reaction to or if its stress related. I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

My MRI showed that I have a mild disc bulge and my Spine X Ray showed that I had very little space in my last disc and the Physical Therapists think that that two issues are causing my nerve pains.

I just want to say that the psychological toll this has had on me is tremendous. I have spent nights crying and feeling hopeless. The fear of having a horrible disease is overwhelming even though my tests have all been mostly normal. The pain continues and is preventing me from dating and enjoying life in general. On the positive, over the last two weeks I have been eating better and my fatigue is almost gone.

I would like to hear any feedback. Has anyone experienced this type of pain and successfully treated it? I try to follow some of the advice about acknowledging the pain as TMS but when the pain persists, I lose hope after which fear and anxiety takes over me.

Thank you

Zhanna

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

There are many people who have much worse symptoms than you described here and they heal. Be of great cheer. However suffering is relative, and personal. Few have had a million blood tests though! You must feel completely drained.

The fact that you have been cleared for danger is a red flag for mindbody. Also the symptoms you describe are typical mindbody. Itching and hives and sciatica are more red flags for TMS.

Make sure that you get the order correct, "horse before cart." You do not feel hopeless because of your physical problems, you have physical problems because you feel hopeless. The good news is that you found TMS, and can heal. But you can't heal until you want to, and few do.

SteveO

MWsunin12 likes this.
  3. Zhanka

Zhanka Newcomer

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response. I will be reading your book.

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Zhanna,

That's quite a story.

Many medications, including antibiotics, have a tendency to deplete the body of magnesium. Some of your muscle and nerve symptoms could be due to that.

You can take magnesium supplements such a Natural Calm (I take it daily myself ) to restore your magnesium level. You can have red blood cell magnesium level tested. It need to be 6-6.5. The usual serum magnesium test is not accurate. Magnesium supplementation is quite safe because if you take too much you get runny stool and you can reduce your intake.

I had hives all over my body when I had TMS and know how it feels. Yet, it can also be side effect of the medications as well.

Glad you are getting your energy back. Give yourself time to heal.

Take care,

5. Zhanka

Zhanka Newcomer

Thank you for your feedback! Magnesium is a great idea. I agree that the antibiotics likely had an affect on me. I also worked out and did a lot of yoga when I was still a bit sick. I may have caused injury to my neck and back that is causing nerve pain.