1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New symptom ARGH!!!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Calum, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Calum

Calum Well known member

I think I've developed a new symptom. A dull ache in my riight achilles tendon. Its annoying because my wrist pain symptoms have been getting weaker and weaker.
    I think its giving me a problem because deep down I have doubts about whether its physically caused or not.
    The argument for it being physical is that I had to buy a new pair of shoes as my old ones broke and it came on after that.
    The argument for it being phycological is that it now hurts when I wear my old trainers and go running when it never did before and there has been no change of foot wear there unless the new shoes have caused it to hurt and its exacerbated when running, but that sounds like the sort of bull**** a physio would say.
    Also my girlfirends mother has severe problems with her right achilles tendon so bad she has very limited movement. So I've been "exposed" to the idea that problems can occur in the achilles giving my brain a perfect opportunity to try and fool me again.
    I know I'm supposed to forgive my brain for this as its only trying to protect me, but I feel like a cheated on lover that keeps going back to the cheat. I feel like it keeps trying to screw me over.

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Calum, I'm dealing with the opposite...achilles/shin splint pain is minimal now and my wrist is being a brat. I was pruning bushes the other day and I suspect the REAL reason for the pain isn't the motions with garden tools....I was angry over something. So here we go again.
    All I can say is I when I'm not reading Dr. Sarno's book, I"m listening to it while I putter around with tasks. And then I'm doing a lot of talking to myself too AND doing mindfulness meditations every day.
    I suspect my battle is heating up because I'm on the verge of a breakthrough. Or so I hope! I'd love to hear what some of the gurus around here have to say. ;)
    Hang in there..sounds like your battle's been upped a notch or two also.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

There are quite a few success stories about people recovering from achilles tendonitis. It is important to always remember that in this stage of your recovery your symptoms are going to move around, especially when you main one starts to fade away. This condition is really tricky and is going to take any opportunity to trip you up. Your unconscious is using the fact that you got new shoes to try and get you to think physically again. Recognize what it is trying to do, and you will be able to limit the effects of it.

MontanaMom likes this.
  4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Calum, your brain is not trying to cheat you. It is using pain, desperately trying to keep you from becoming aware of what your unconscious needs you to know. The brain thinks it is doing you a favor by tricking and diverting you. You know it is not. Sometimes knowing is enough and the pain gives up and goes away. Other times, you MUST seek out what your unconscious is trying to tell you. Mindfulness and journaling, listening to your dreams, "parts" work (Internal Family Systems, etc.), therapy -- all avenues to explore what's really going on beneath your conscious awareness. I know it's a bother and you just want to get on with your life but the work is worth it. Life is better once you know. The more you know, the better it gets! I've been doing this work for 30 years and can't believe how much happier and more functional I am. It's a true slo-mo miracle.

MontanaMom likes this.