1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

new stomach pain, not sure what to do

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NicoleB34, Apr 16, 2018.

1. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

Ok, so i have a history of pelvic pain, pudendal neuralgia is my biggest issue as of the last 3 years. I know i have TMS, and while i've been able to use the mind/body stuff to get back into exercise without flaring, it's the baseline "sitting around, working, driving" pain that just wont let up.

I was taking gabapentin for 3+ years. I decided it didnt work anymore and i was going to wean off. Well, i got some withdrawal symptoms from doing this, but the most noticeable and distressing symptom was serious stomach pain. Sometimes it feels like crampy bloating, and other times it has the classic symptoms of an ulcer. I know that gabapentin sort of dulls nerve impulses, so i figured that my nervous system might be going a bit haywire going off a med that i was taking so long.

That was a month ago i started weaning the med. I still have horrid stomach pain. Went to the doctors, and labwork, ultrasound, was normal. I'm still waiting for the test for h.pylori to come back, because my symtoms feel a lot like stomach inflammation.

I've never had stomach issues all my life. This is very startling. i lay in bed a lot, crying because i dont want to be social. I fear eating, but i still force food down because i'm afraid if i start "fearing" food, i will create brain associations. So I eat, and then i hurt really bad. I hurt bad even when i dont eat.

The reason i think this has morphed into a TMS issue is because there are no stomach meds (antacids, pepto, etc.) that have a significant effect on the pain. Sadly, my pelvic pain meds wont touch it either. The pain also fluctuates, sometimes it's not so bad. Often i wake in the night with stabbing gripping pain, and i start sweating like i have a fever. I think it might be anxiety and panic. The other "telling" thing is that the more my stomach hurts, it steals from the pelvis. My pelvic pain has been at an all time low since this new symptom came on. I almost feel like this is worse because i cant relieve it with anything.

Assuming the doctors tell me "we cant find anything wrong with you", should i try and go on a bland diet? i've already made slight changes and taking digestive enzymes, but deep down i dont know if this is digestive at all. If you have pelvic pain, they say you're 5 times more likely to get IBS. Trying so hard not to freak out, but it's affecting my work and sleep and mental health severely. I dont know what to do. Again, i dont want to start fearing food.

TrustIt likes this.
  2. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Sounds to me like TMSing and maybe you have a bit a stomach inflammation which is usually easy to heal. You say that they tested for heliobacter pylori. They need a gastroscopy to find out. If they did that, then they perfectly well can tell what is wrong. So, yes, I would also rule out something with the stomach. I am not sure about having a coloscopy. This is more invasive. I also don’t know about Gabapentin, no experience but is seems unlikely to me to have stomach problems from stopping it.
    In general, you seem to be very nervous and tensed. I recognize this state, you cannot stop googeling, you cannot stop watching yourself and you are catastrophizing. You need a way out. Something that makes you stop. And you need yourself to stop it. This is very hard, I know it. I am also struggeling with it. I cannot tell you how to do it. You need to find your own way.

3. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

I am very sorry that you are so sick. I understand how you write that you are very worried. Focus on slow and conscious breathing. Worrying about yourself will only increase all these symptoms and if your stomach hurts you now, avoid heavy foods or hard to digest, eat light. you must not be afraid of food and trust the doctor's response with confidence. I know it's hard to stay calm but it's all you have to do... to stay calm.. So take slow breaths and relax yourself, if it helps you can listen to Dr. Shubiner's meditations, they work wonders with me, they can calm my pain and do it to disappear.

Time2be likes this.
  4. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

update, it went away. doctor said i could have had an ulcer due to stress, and honestly i still think it was a response to the gabapentin taper, mixed with my anxiety about it. Good news is, since the stomach pain calmed down, my other pelvic pain sort of has too. except today and yesterday where i did a bumpy bike ride and the pain is back very bad. Just trying not to freak out and let it calm down on it's own.

LoveAfterAll and TrustIt like this.