1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Program New starter Help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bob, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

one of things in the books is try and get back to your normal activity’s, I have been back to my normal job after doing restricted duty’s for months.I am a postman(or a mailman in the USA)
    My job includes driving a van and walking a lot, I now understand that I will not being doing myself anymore halm but the more I do the more pain I am in, I suffer from bad sciatica and since returning to work the pain has got worse, any help would be helpful

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bob,
    You're using the right approach, but if possible, don't overdo it. Add activity over time, as symptoms subside. Use the programs on the Wiki, and read Dr. Sarno's books every day. Every time the pain arises, and I mean maybe 100 times a day, "think psychologically." It does not matter if no new information comes to you. That is, it might be the same answer time after time: "Oh, I think I am really sad about my Mom dieing two years ago (if this is what comes to you), and I don't want to feel this fully."
    Good Luck in this!
    Andy

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Did you wait before your symptoms had abated a bit before you went back? That is important. I had 5 weeks between my 'aha' moment and going back to work... plenty of time to go through and delete all of the mythology I had learned.

Remember too that anything that adds stress or anxiety can exacerbate TMS. I was a heavy laborer when I first went back to work... the work isn't what caused my TMS but the Stupidity of my industry's operations caused a lot of anger (I worked in the film industry then)... so I spent a lot of time turning my thoughts to how lame 'we' were and how pointless a lot of our protocols were. To stay sane (and employed) I focused on the conflict of having to work for something I detested to support the family I loved.
    The TMS did go away. Over the last two decades it has tried to 'sneak back' and I have chased it away by reviews and writing and screaming and challenging it.

I am still a heavy laborer, except now I work for people I like and fear nothing...except 'falling asleep'.... that is losing awareness and thinking I 'got it'. Sarno saved me a lot of pain and has kept me in the game all the way to 52.... still throwing, lifting and not 'lifting correctly' or being careful.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. Bob

Bob New Member

Thank you so much for your reply’s, finding this forum has really helped,I’m on day four of my program and gaining as much info on TMS as I can reading the great pain deception at the moment by Steve Ozanich,on your advise I have slowed down a bit at work and this seems to be helping.
    Thanks again for replying to my post

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bob,
    BB gave some good advice, I was thinking along the same lines too, maybe your unconscious that creates TMS structural symptoms is telling you that it's burnt out on the same routine and wants to find a new passion. I'm just conjecturing, maybe you love your job and can't wait to get up and "transcordificate", (a word SteveO coined--you'll see it in his book you've got), with all the folks on your route--or maybe your tired of that pit-bull nipping at you.

Lainey likes this.