1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New persistent pain Tendonitis or TMS ??Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Saoirse, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi Guys
    I have done the SEP Programme and have started Dr Schubiners TMS Program . I broke L4&L5 21 Years ago and have been in pain ever since, In 1999 I have a car accident and got neck and upper back pain which joined the pain and never went away . In 2011 while away doing a trade show which I did a lot of waxing( the beauty salon type I have my own wax range) I was super busy for two days an d developed severe tendonitis in the head of the bicep and had to eventually have several sets of cortisone injects. About 6 weeks ago I started to develop similar type of pain in my left arm and even though I have had many physio sessions and he says its inflamed and the muscle is super tight,it is not improving. I am confused as it really can't be repetitive strain as I don't use my left arm as I do my right ??? so it has not been worked the same way!! yet the pain and the worry is very real and very similar. I have been talking to the pain but I know I am not as certain that its TMS and I am taking to my husband and staff as if it is Tendonitis and I am icing it and moaning about it. I have been recommended to have cortisone injections but as I taking oxycontin for my back and codeine and paracetamol and they aren't helping with the pain is it TMS??? steroid injections are pretty serious and not without concern , also my arm was so sore and dead for a week when I got them done the last time on the other arm and I had to go back three times. Maybe that too was TMS . This certainly has me preoccupied and worried and focused on the pain which is the purpose of TMS?? So what do you suggest.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Stop the fear of the pain. Be outcome independent. Whatever is bothering you emotionally address that. Bring those emotions to your conscious and be at peace with them.
    Other than the pain you are unhappy emotionally in some part of your life, think on that part. Reframe the meaning you have about this part or parts of your life.
    Remember we all have different parts to our personalities that see certain aspects of our lives in different ways, some parts are content, some hurt ann others complain and moan.
    Check out IFS therapy threads here http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/recording-of-parts-therapy-ifs-session.4054/ (Recording of Parts Therapy (IFS) Session) if you want a better understanding of parts therapy.
    Bottom line, it's as simple as outcome independence most of the time. I'll leave a detail below so you better understand what I'm saying.

I heard this from Alan Gordon's TMS RECOVERY PROGRAM.

Think how outcome dependent you tend to be with the pain. Assume you have Back Pain when you take a walk (or some comparable situation.) Every time you take a walk, you monitor it. "Okay, today the pain started after a block. Yesterday it started after a block and a half." "Today it was a 3 out of 10 when I returned home. Last week it was a 7 out of 10 after the same distance."

1. When you have a good walk, you feel happy, optimistic, feeling like you're on the right track. When you have a bad walk, you feel down, defeated, bad about yourself and your prospect of ever getting rid of the pain.

This attitude, this outcome dependence is feeding the pain cycle. It's reinforcing its very purpose.

Change your definition of success. Work on it. Success is no longer measured by whether or not you have a good walk. Success is measured by how little you care.

At the beginning of your walk, tell yourself, "It doesn't matter how much it hurts afterward. That isn't an accurate measure of monitoring my progress with PPD anyway. What matters is how little I let it affect me; how I refuse to let my mood, my self-perception, my feelings about the future be determined by how much pain I'm in afterward."

This is not an easy transition, and you'll revert back to outcome dependence plenty of times. But if you keep at it, and continue to work toward altering your definition of success, you will strip the pain of its power, and it will likely lose its hold on you.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    richard13 likes this.
  3. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Thanks so much I'll work on that

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.