1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

new member here

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lavender, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Wow, I finally took the plunge and joined my first forum EVER! I always had reservations about doing so but in reading so many helpful messages, I just had to express my gratitude to those who manage the forum and to those who participate. When reading about all the many failed treatments that the writers have gone through before their final healing, one can identify and find hope. So far I have read three Sarno books as well as Pain free for Life by Scott Brady. I had some improvement initially but then leveled off mid-summer and then got worse when, quite frankly, I didn’t know what to journal about any more after turning my past and present inside out.
    Lavender
    P.S. If I make any mistakes about posting, I am open to correction!

North Star likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You lost that happiness again,
    Its not all about the journal as much as it is the journey
    Just get back on the journey, be at peace with life
    You've fallen out of balance with something that made you feel whole

Study more on what is making you un-happy in the present ok
    and start the SEP, it really helped me a lot http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program

Write and let us know how things go ok, thanks

3. Lavender

4. Lavender

What a nice coincidence to receive your welcome and uplifting advice. You see, I have saved quite a few of your personal testimonies and nuggets of wisdom and I keep them handy. Perhaps that is a confirmation that you are indeed being true to the calling you describe concerning your desire to help folks get healed.
    I have been missing life and my independence for 29 months and it is so difficult to think beyond the 24/7 pain and present circumstances and to resist despair. Judging by your opening optimistic remarks, I sense that joining this forum will be a help to pull me out of that negativity. If there is any very obvious repression, it may be my need to keep the knowledge of the degree of suffering and despair from my family lest it sadden them.
    BTW, the 3 diagnosis are- Spinal Stenosis and Lumbar discs 4 & 5 (but neither bad enough to be causing this much pain and prevent me from walking.) RSD, there’s the boogeyman with Mr. Fear attached. I don’t like looking at RSD forums, too scary and depressing. However, recently I found a 2007 message from a girl in the UK saying that she had been healed by using the Sarno book! Some wrote to challenge her but I believe her. My troubles began with toe pain after I did a simple toe-exercise to prepare for skiing. No cause for the continuing pain ever found for months, then it went into the other toe and RSD was suspected. Soon the pain went into my back and I attributed it to my altered gait. But suddenly I ended up in the ER with overall body symptoms in addition to the back pains. The young intern never even touched me but drew her conclusions due to the toe story; it always begins with an injury of little or no consequence. A sense of dread zoomed through my whole being because I knew full well about RSD. It had stolen 3 years of my life 2 decades ago. Getting well from that was a life-changing event for me. How could I get it again? Well they explained that one never really gets well from it and that it can “come out of remission.” But I never bought that line. No, you see, back then, the onset of it was preceded by multiple events of trauma and yes, anger- “stuffers’ as well as raging ( and I thought justified) unforgiveness. ( I have dealt with that since then.) Since this latest diagnosis made in 2010, I can see the common denominator what with 4 major stressors happening close together. So I would define the tendency as a personality trait or a pattern of thinking or I might even blame the memes! I do believe that RSD is triggered by emotions even though life was rosy when it began this time. The depression seems to set in later as the day to day struggle takes a toll and “they” say it is harder to get better once you are older. Children do very well with PT. One neurosurgeon didn’t push me to surgery but suggested the epidural to find out if the RSD was making the back pains worse or even vice-versa.
    I do not have the swollen limbs etc., so my problems are mainly in the hip and lower back. Then when I try to push myself by walking, the pains shoot throughout the body and that in turn scares me and the cycle starts all over. Some of this forums’ links about the mind body cycle of chronic pain have explained the cycle very clearly and so my gratitude goes forth. You are correct! Stinkin’ Thinkin’ is the saboteur but not so easy to correct after a lifetime of patterning.
    The medical profession has let me down but I have a good GP who has cleared me to go forth with a TMS approach.
    I have been on the SEP and yes, good stuff!

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Lavender)- What a nice coincidence to receive your welcome and uplifting advice. You see, I have saved quite a few of your personal testimonies and nuggets of wisdom and I keep them handy. Perhaps that is a confirmation that you are indeed being true to the calling you describe concerning your desire to help folks get healed.

Eric)-Thank you so much lavender, I love that name. My personal testimonies stand as solid truth with all my heart and I have dedicated my life to helping others heal. I know now that if you believe with all your heart that you will heal, you will. Its not about something that's far out and only for the wise- its about a simple understanding of hope and a willingness to ignore all the doubters and nay sayers and also a refusal to fear your past or future and live in the now, in the present knowing that the time will come that your help, hope, and belief will bring you to the finish line of healing.

You have the cure in your Books you read. You have to hold to those words and sentences, make them a part of your very being. Walk it, talk it, know it , become it. what you believe you will receive lavender. You have a chance here and now to do a program that has to be believed and its been proven that its not a placebo, its life and you have to smile on purpose and forget what others say if those words contain doubt. This is full belief in a system that will set you free.

Lavender)-I have been missing life and my independence for 29 months and it is so difficult to think beyond the 24/7 pain and present circumstances and to resist despair. Judging by your opening optimistic remarks, I sense that joining this forum will be a help to pull me out of that negativity. If there is any very obvious repression, it may be my need to keep the knowledge of the degree of suffering and despair from my family lest it sadden them.

Eric)- Listen to me lavender, listen closely with all your heart. I know you're in pain but the more you give in to that word despair the more you feed the pain. You have to adopt thoughts of hope and peace, somehow smile in the valley so you can be brought back up to the mountain tops ok. Read and re-read the success stories of those that had no future to look forward too and now they are winning in life again and you will do the same. Its all about your mental attitude toward wanting to heal. You want to heal I know so go and do the work in Sarnos books, envision yourself as already healed and hold that vision and never let it go. You will walk into that vision in time. This way you are planting seeds into your mind to heal and you will.

Lavender)- BTW, the 3 diagnosis are- Spinal Stenosis and Lumbar discs 4 & 5 (but neither bad enough to be causing this much pain and prevent me from walking.) RSD, there’s the boogeyman with Mr. Fear attached. I don’t like looking at RSD forums, too scary and depressing. However, recently I found a 2007 message from a girl in the UK saying that she had been healed by using the Sarno book! Some wrote to challenge her but I believe her.

Eric)- The boogy man has no power over a mind filled with clean thinking and hope, loose the fear and dwell on the success story you heard for it is truth. If she can heal so can you and it doesn't matter what anyone says even if its someone you trust, if their thoughts are doubt then exclude them from your memory bank and go right on living filling your mind with thoughts of health and well being and eventually you will heal and be a success story yourself. There is nothing more powerful than your thoughts about your own health and well being. its been proven time and time again that folks all over the world have healed from the worst case scenarios because they were willing to accept that they could envision a life without pain and sorrow. You need adapt this attitude to every thought of your day. When you have doubtful thoughts of hurt , worry and pain quickly replace them with thoughts of a life filled with joy and happiness then within minutes you should be able to get your joy back and keep moving in this direction for it is the essence of the power of your mind to heal and obtain the cure.

Lavender)-My troubles began with toe pain after I did a simple toe-exercise to prepare for skiing. No cause for the continuing pain ever found for months, then it went into the other toe and RSD was suspected. Soon the pain went into my back and I attributed it to my altered gait. But suddenly I ended up in the ER with overall body symptoms in addition to the back pains. The young intern never even touched me but drew her conclusions due to the toe story; it always begins with an injury of little or no consequence. A sense of dread zoomed through my whole being because I knew full well about RSD. It had stolen 3 years of my life 2 decades ago. Getting well from that was a life-changing

Eric)- The young intern gave you a nocebo. N0ow do as i described above ok and do the work laid out in Sarnos work and watch life get better. It doesn't take but an instant of talk like you heard above to send you into a downward spiral of hurt and pain . Now stop those hurtful thoughts and focus on healing ok. Youve done it before and you will do it again. Just never give in to that fear again, you will win.

Lavender) How could I get it again? Well they explained that one never really gets well from it and that it can “come out of remission.” But I never bought that line. No, you see, back then, the onset of it was preceded by multiple events of trauma and yes, anger- “stuffers’ as well as raging ( and I thought justified) unforgiveness. ( I have dealt with that since then.) Since this latest diagnosis made in 2010, I can see the common denominator what with 4 major stressors happening close together. So I would define the tendency as a personality trait or a pattern of thinking or I might even blame the memes!

Eric)- You have the answers you said yourself that i outlined in bold above. Go by these and let these thoughts heal you ok.

Lavender)- I do believe that RSD is triggered by emotions even though life was rosy when it began this time. The depression seems to set in later as the day to day struggle takes a toll and “they” say it is harder to get better once you are older. Children do very well with PT. One neurosurgeon didn’t push me to surgery but suggested the epidural to find out if the RSD was making the back pains worse or even vice-versa.

Eric)- All of the above are thoughts of doubt, so stop them as fast as you can, I understand you will have to reprogram but start your reprogramming now with no fear ok. And lose the focus on the body it will only hinder your progress.

Lavender)-I do not have the swollen limbs etc., so my problems are mainly in the hip and lower back. Then when I try to push myself by walking, the pains shoot throughout the body and that in turn scares me and the cycle starts all over. Some of this forums’ links about the mind body cycle of chronic pain have explained the cycle very clearly and so my gratitude goes forth. You are correct! Stinkin’ Thinkin’ is the saboteur but not so easy to correct after a lifetime of patterning.
    The medical profession has let me down but I have a good GP who has cleared me to go forth with a TMS approach.
    I have been on the SEP and yes, good stuff!

Eric) Dont push yourself to do physical activities till the pain is almost gone ok. Work on the doubts and memes you've been told and other pressures in your life- work on making them of no effect to you, its your life you have the choice to think clean if you wish. Do the SEP and do all of Sarnos daily reminders and live life to the full. Watch as many comedies as you can and laugh as much as possible. You will win this battle. You've done it before, this time you will do it again in a stronger more controlled fashion.
    Bless you

G.R. likes this.
  6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Lavender, I LOVE your name! I grow lavender in my garden and keep lavender oil all the time. Such a soothing, healing fragrance...so a very appropriate name for you! :)

You've already gotten great encouragement and advice from one of the finest here on the forum. I just wanted to throw in my "WELCOME!"

I look forward to watching your healing journey unfold.

7. nervana

nervana New Member

hi all

first time for me too..

To be honest, I dont really know much about sarno;s methods othen than the fact that its supposed to be extremely effective. Many friends swear by it..
    I got hold of the first book- the one on back pain, and have started reading it. However, I dont know if it is relevant to my problems..

You see I have been suffering from anxiety/ panic disorders for years. Can anybody suggest the most appropriate book or chapter in any of the books that can most effectively instuct me on how to deal with this problem?

I would really appreciate any help. I am completely new to this method, and dont really know where to turn.

Thanks

8. North Star

Nervana, The MindBody Prescription is a good place to start...that too is written by Dr. Sarno and I think it is a bit broader application than the back pain book. But don't let that stop you from reading the one that you have! It is very relevant. If you don't deal with back pain, just replace "anxiety" with back pain when he talks about the mechanisms for pain creation. You are dealing with chronic pain...it just looks differently than a back ache. :) You might also get on YouTube and watch the interview with John Stossel done for 20/20. Some folks learn better listening to or watching something.

Anxiety and panic are HUGE mindbody issues. I struggled for YEARS with anxiety. I'd wake up with panic attacks...feeling shaky while driving...constant anxiety, just waiting for disaster to happen. It is no way to live!

The first step is to take a deep breath and then start reading. Slow and steady wins the race. This isn't a sprint, it's an on-going walk. And you'll find plenty here to keep you company on that walk. :)

You don't have to tackle it all in a hurry. I know you're eager for resolution but it takes times to walk out the healing. But know this with certainty...healing IS possible.

Hang in there and welcome to the forum!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and G.R. like this.
  9. Lavender

to speak more positively. The pain makes me listen to the wrong voices. I try to address pressures however, since I am isolated, it seems the only actual pressure it this constant pain battle and not interactions with people.
    I need to apply your advice and get control of my thoughts. Even aside from the pain, the fact that I cannot walk or stand much does seems to permeate every thought. For instance, “Is it really worth the pain to go across the room to get that paper?” Scott Brady’s mentioned “crutches’ are everywhere. Heating pads, ice packs, household items rearranged for my convenience, etc. My question is, if I recognize them as crutches, why can’t that recognition itself help me free from the pain? I get around the house by using a rolling office chair (like the famous scene of the Amish man in the movie “Witness.”) And when I am pushed in a transport chair, it is so surreal to pass a mirror and see myself so dependent. This is not who I am and something is wrong with this scene!
    Thanks for the reminder to watch a comedy. I read something about the neurological benefits of actually smiling each day, even if one forces it. You are so right; my brain needs to be reprogrammed. As part of the SAP program, one lesson advises doing something for yourself. Well I can’t seem to begin anything that I enjoyed doing in the past. I have so many limitations but also I have to admit to myself that that is a sign of depression.
    Thankfully, this forum seems to offer hope and encouragement.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  10. Lavender

Whoops! A section of that text missed out on the paste.
    Here below
    Wow, thank you so very much for a detailed and helpful reply and advice from a someone like yourself who has experienced success. I will refer to it often so as to stay on track.
    Yes I have some heavy- duty drugs handy for “breakthrough” pain but I try to duke it out to avoid the yucky side effects. I had to resort to them though just to be taken to the hospital to visit my husband. Thank you so very much too for your prayer for him.
    I had been doing the Sarno practice diligently since May and using the Brady methods and journaling. But I soon ran out of things to journal about. I began to have my present downhill slide as October ended and of course when my husband had the heart attack, every routine fell to pieces. I plan to get back on track.

11. Lavender

Thank you for the uplifting words and words of welcome . Is there any other color quite like lavender?

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Lavender when you see yourself in the mirror in that wheelchair and you feel that its not you, well thats a good time to see yourself up and vibrant. Learn imagery and see yourself completely pain free and healed ok then in time you will see the actual results manifest. We really do have neural pathways of hope that will send signals to your brain and hence change the situation you're in.

On the other hand we have pathways that carry signals of doubt and despair too. If you worry for a moment don't let it upset you, just use this worry as a reminder to think of yourself in a visualization happy, gleefully walking and doing all you've ever wanted to do.

You have been through a lot dear so give your heart a break and know none of this is your fault. You have a big heart of compassion and it reads through in your post so now let this compassion read through in your body ok, and let it permeate every fiber of your being. Its programming that will take time and practice to redo but in time with patience and hope you will come through.

I know the journaling can be a task at times so remember to have a feel good journal too. Journal about everything that has ever made you happy and also journal about everything you're going to do when this pain resides. You will win and with all the help here at this forum you will also be led in the right direction.

Bless you

13. nervana

nervana New Member

Hi Northstar.

Thanks so much for the wonderful response. I so appreciate your kind efforts in welcoming me. It seems I have come across the right place..
    I am inspired and will continue with the book.

I do suppose I should finish my read first, however I did want to ask the following question.. I understand the concept of physical pain being a mere manifestation of suppressed emotional "issues", and I believe Sarno's approach is to therefore learn to recognize this fact- that the body is just reacting to one's emotions. However in a case such as mine (panic/anxiety) when I am acutely aware that my physical symptoms are in fact psychosomatic, would the same advise still apply? And if so, what would be the rationale?

14. North Star

Yes, absolutely....treat the panic and anxiety as TMS. If I recall correctly, in "The Great Pain Deception", Steve O says something that many times depression and anxiety will be a precursor to pain. (Someone correct me if I am wrong!)

Even in recovery, some folks will find pain relief but then find the mental issues become more pronounced. The brain is searching for distractions and it is endless in creativity in finding areas.

I know for me, personally, anxiety/panic attacks lessened as the physical pain increased. Tendonitis just when from one spot to another and headaches became constant for weeks on end. It's all fueled by the same mechanism...repressed emotions, stress and TMS- friendly personality traits.

Some folks find the physical pain easier to deal with because the mental/emotional stuff can be more painful to them. I know for me, I came to the point that I was ready to open some long closed doors because I was just so sick of hurting.

Does this help?

15. nervana

nervana New Member

It does help, but the problem is -and this will sound strange, that i am anxious about my anxiety..

Meaning I am constantly worried that it is getting out of hand, and a day will come when i just wont be handle it and.. There I go again..

So. In this scenario, how would one apply Sarno's method? What I am trying to get at is, that I if my pain is anxiety, how can it also be a distraction?

Thanks, by the way for your earlier response. Just knowing that I may not be the first human to deal with these issues is in of itself very comforting..

16. North Star

Mindfulness meditation has been, by far, the most helpful tool to me. Go check out Dr. Martin Rossman or Jon Kabat Zin on youtube for a guided imagery or a mindfulness meditation.

And now "anxious about anxiety" doesn't sound at all strange. I think most of here completely understand what you're talking about. ;) Anxiety and fear is a HUGE component of TMS. I think it's kind of the fuel keeping the machinery going.

Learning to be still and rest in moments of silence is one of the hardest things a human can do in this busy, frenetic world we live in, IMHO. It took me months before I could get through a session without having moments of hyperventilation. I didn't realize how revved up I was inside.

Breathing exercises have been very helpful to me too. Andrew Weil, MD has some great exercises.

And if you can find a yoga class to attend, this a GREAT place to start with all of this. A good yoga instructor is a huge help!

Anxiety - pain- pain - anxiety....think of it ALL as distraction. The creativity of the brain to distract is endless.

You're in a good place here, Nervana. And you've taken some very brave steps in your healing. Be encouraged! It takes time but it's worth the time and effort. :)

Eric "Herbie" Watson and yb44 like this.
  17. Eric "Herbie" Watson

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/claire-weekes-audio.2569/

Hey North Star has the greatest advice for sure. :)

I've always noticed adding these Claire Weekes audios in the list of thoughts is very beneficial

If fear and anxiety seems to control your every step the Mindfulness is Awesome and Claire Weekes will give you a mindset to accomplish your goals with your meditations while you rid yourself of the fear of anxiety.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  18. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm trying to debug something. Please ignore this post.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4