1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New here...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lynne, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

Hi.

I'm new here, and also new to TMS. I mostly get pain in my neck and scalp, as well as having some related issues like IBS.

I'm glad I found Dr. Sarno's book so soon after my symptoms started (which came on abruptly after I found out about my parent's divorce.

I've read alot about the mind/body connection and how emotions affect physical symptoms, so the idea of TMS being caused by the mind was not surprising.

I'm going through the educational program on the wiki, I'm very grateful that such a resource is available for free. :)

2. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, Lynne :)

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, Lynne ;)

It's really good that you already notice the emotional connection between the onset of your symptoms and your parents' divorce. That really gives you a good handle on the etiology of your TMS pain. I must be really dense because it was a long, long time before I recognized the rather obvious connection between the death of my mom and the onset of sciatica in my left leg - the same leg in fact that I'd injured 20 years before. Didn't realize then that pain syndromes can be reenacted later on when events with similar traumatic emotions occur. Also, that pain can act as a way of distracting you from unpleasant emotions you don't want to confront directly.

Hope you have a prompt resolution of your TMS symptoms.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Lynne,

It is great to hear how open you are to TMS and the mind body connection. Accepting the diagnosis can be really hard for people. We try so hard to ignore that we have strong emotions and have psychological issues. However, once you open yourself up and realize that you do, in fact, have repressed emotions than you can begin to recover.

As MorComm said, understanding what triggered your symptoms is an important step. Understanding how these events, past or present, affect our emotions is a key part to recovering.