1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Here...Suspect TMS for Pelvic Floor Issue

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ironoxidered, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Ironoxidered

Ironoxidered New Member

This is crazy...I can't believe this is happening or that I can even write about it here ...even anonymously. But I'm hoping to hear from others that have had this or something similar and have had success with healing or from anyone in a similar situation and are wondering wtf this is.
    Interestingly enough, looking back, I remember I experienced something, an emotion, a feeling.. a very subtle pissed off feeling....after orgasm.... Then days or weeks later, pain in the rectum and a gradual inability to relax PF muscles...now they're tense and orgasm out of the question...the primary symptom is numbness NOT PAIN! Pain only occasionally when sitting too long....This has my attention but it's not an OMG I'm in constant pain...numbness isn't the same..it doesn't seem to be trying to steal my attention...but it's distressing nonetheless as you can imagine. It's difficult to do the "replace all" from pain to numbness when reading Sarno's book but he does mention numbness (only once or twice...makes it difficult to accept the diagnosis of TMS. Having said that, doctors are clueless, prostatitis, PT, muscles relaxers, nutrients etc...no use. I then started having panic attacks then a bout with IBS...this is what has tipped me off to TMS. Sarno mentions that TMS can manifest in many other parts of the body as equivalents...some equivalents don't necessarily involve pain...
    Anyways, I've started Brady's program and into it about a week. I'm really, really convinced this is TMS but would love to hear if anyone has ever experienced just numbness and or any issues with the PF muscles (or any words of encouragement) to help me put the last nail in the coffin of doubt for me.

Blessings and Thanks in advance

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

If doctors can't find anything structurally or physically wrong with you, it sure sounds like TMS to me, your unconscious mind
    causing pain. You say you felt anger after an orgasm, then felt rectum pain.

Have you spent some time thinking about that experience? Dr. Sarno's books explain the causes of our pain... repressed emotions,
    perfectionist or "goodist" personalities, wanting everyone love us and approve of us. I found that journaling (writing about repressed emotions) led me to discover more about myself as a boy than I every realized. Repressing them gave me physical pain.

I recommend you begin the Structured Educational Program to learn how to apply TMS to your healing process:
    http://tmswiki.org/forum/forums/structured-educational-program.16/

Lizzy likes this.
  3. pilatesgirl

pilatesgirl Peer Supporter

Hi ironoxidered,

I've had pelvic pain for two years (on friday...yay ;-) I am a new member and new to TMS but I can tell you I have had more relief in the last two weeks doing the SEP program and ignoring/allowing the pain than in the year and a half of pelvic floor physical therapy. I am not out of the woods yet but I am getting closer.

Good luck to you...btw...my symptoms are a prickly sensation so I think TMS can create all kinds of different symptoms. There are other people on this forum that have pelvic pain/pelvic floor dysfunction. I hope they will chime in too.

Warmly,
    Pilatesgirl

4. mindfulliving

mindfulliving Peer Supporter

I had numbness and pain...all tms...beat it!

5. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

No numbness but plenty of pain and discomfort. One of my more recent but most distressing TMS symptoms. Burning, tingling, stabbing, aching.

Reading MBP and Headache in the pelvis really joined the dots for me, I realised just how bad my PF had been, I'm always such a nervous person and I hadn't even realised I was directing all that nervous energy to my pelvis. I was even tensing my PF before/during orgasm for as long as I can remember but never realised it until reading those books. I used to think a bit of pain after orgasm was normal!

I've mostly gotten on top of it, the worst is over anyway. I really think the fear of not knowing what was causing the discomfort was what was keeping it going.

A couple tips...

-Get on with life, no matter the discomfort, don't ever let it stop you from doing something (Easier said than done, I know)

-Think about relaxing your pelvic floor, just for a few seconds, whenever it pops into your mind throughout the day. Don't even try hard, don't strain, just a 2 second thought..."Relax your balls" is the feeling your going for.

Good luck with it all :) You sound like your on the right track.

6. happygal

happygal New Member

I have had it all down there - pain, burning, uncontrollable itching, numbness - you name it. It all started in my first pregnancy. I consider myself healed as far as that pain is concerned - my TMS has shown up in other places now, where I have not yet been able to overcome my fear. I do have mild flares, but I ignore them and they are not fear-provoking to me anymore and they go away quite quickly. I did have PT, which I know was helpful for me; I am quite certain that the PT helped initiate the release the tension in my excruciatingly tight pelvic floor and back muscles that had been that way for years and years, but my long-lasting recovery and final healing came with overcoming the fear.

You will heal, I am certain of it.

TrustIt likes this.
  7. mindfulliving

mindfulliving Peer Supporter

Hi i'm no one to judge...but i feel dr david wise is a huge banana....i really feel he knows about tms...but he tries to make us believe its structurally caused...when its not....no you do not need to relax. Your balls

Cpps is a stress related illness...all we need to do is treat the stress....trust me...i've been there and done that

He follows the same concept as tms

He practices something called paradoxial relaxation...thats what truly heals the patients...because its treating the anxiety

So if it works for u then perfect...just know that cpps is a stress related illness

8. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

I totally agree, David Wise is most definitely a huge banana! He charges a ridiculous amount for his courses and for what you pay for his book, he seems to repeat himself an awful lot in it. I get the feeling he is in it for the profit, not to help people.

But...I don't think he disagrees that cpps is a stress related illness. I think those pelvic trigger points can take on a life of their own, while your mind is fuelling the problem.

I read the headache in the pelvis months after reading all of Sarnos book and getting my anxiety under control. So there was alot in the book that I knew to take with a pinch of Salt, some pages I completely skipped.

I agree TMS is the root cause of cpps but as you know pelvic issues can be such a fear/anxiety inducing symptom, so much is going on down there at once and it is no wonder people can have trouble beleiving that it is all caused by the mind. Reading the Headache in the pelvis, really joined the dots for me, I understood how some TMS induced oxygen deprivation in my muscles, could cause so much damn agony!

I hope that all makes some kind of sense because I just rolled out of bed haha :)

Alyssa5 likes this.
  9. Alysa

Alysa New Member

I am completely floored to be reading this right now. I thought I was completely alone in the world. I have also read a Headache in the Pelvis as well as Amy Stein's Healing Pelvic Pain. I almost went to Dr. Wise's clinic (the things pelvic floor dysfunction will make you do....) and I followed Amy Stein's stretching routine for weeks. I never felt ANY better doing either of these things. I just recently stumbled on TMS and have read Divided Mind and am on to reading The Mindbody Prescription. I cannot express my relief at seeing that someone has overcome anything to do with Pelvic Floor issues. I know my discomfort has been from constant tensing and guarding of my pelvic floor. My gratitude for hearing your stories.

Forest likes this.
  10. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Just a quick note to say that I had EVERY symptom under the sun around pelvic pain, including numbness and even itching. When the symptoms started rotating and trading places, I had to laugh. SO ONTO YOU, TMS! :) I am now completely pain-free. It's so important to remember that it's about healing what it is your whole life - not the numbness. It will disappear as you focus directly on the issues coming up in your emotional world and your thinking!

TrustIt, Joe123x, Alyssa5 and 2 others like this.