1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need TMS Doc and help! Shin Splint is back again!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JoyceVT, Jun 20, 2013.

1. JoyceVT

JoyceVT Well known member

Hello – I am in urgent need of a TMS doctor somewhere in the Northeast (US). I live in Vermont and could drive 3.5 hours for a day trip to see a TMS doctor. Unfortunately Dr Sopher closed his practice a year or so ago due to a mysterious illness (non TMS related). I could drive to Boston, Montreal, upper state NY. Boston area would be ideal. Any recommendations??

I have a continuous post going on this forum about trying to finally overcome my TMS and make it to the Boston Marathon in 2014. I’ve been able to get through so many “running injuries” believing they were really just manifestations of TMS. However, my left inner shin is my “Achilles Heel”. I tried running on it 2 years ago after Dr Sopher convinced me it was TMS and OK to run. But I couldn’t stop the physical thinking as it was so painful and continued doing 28 and 30 mile runs in preparation for a 50K trail race. I couldn’t run for 3 months after that and had to give my poor shin (and groin) a break. It was really bad! After that my shin splint has still continued to plague me off and on the last year. And now it’s rearing its ugly head again and I’m in month 3 of training for the Baystate marathon in October 2013.

I need to believe 100% it’s TMS or I won’t get better. But it’s extremely difficult. I started track workouts sooner than usual with a new running coach. My shin splint really got worse after doing track workouts last week. I don’t know if this is just a trigger or a real shin splint. Even Monte believes shin splints and stress fractures from running can be real injuries.

I need help big time! :(

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Joyce,
    Sorry to hear you're struggling right now.

I saw Dr. Martinez in Boston and he's wonderful. Hope you are able to make an appointment soon and get some peace of mind.

Take care,
    Christine

3. JoyceVT

Hi Christine! Thanks so much. The earliest I could get in is July 5th but at least I have an appointment!

Joyce

veronica73 likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad to hear you have the appointment. Another person to contact is Marc Sopher:
    [​IMG]
    The back of his book includes the following:​

I don't know if he is still seeing patients, but I think he does return emails. His email address is mdsophermd@comcast.net. Here is our info on him:​
    Steve Ozanich recommends him highly.​
    As a bit of side trivia I actually grew up in the same town as him and know his name from my childhood. I may have even gone skiing with him!​

5. JoyceVT

Thanks Forest. He's not seeing patients anymore. I have the book and have visited hime a couple times throughout the years. He is quite good! Too bad he can't see patients anymore. I wonder how he is doing. He had a very rare and incurable disease (non TMS related). I could always email him.

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, yes, I remember you said that before. I'm quite forgetful. :( I think emailing him about the shin splints might be worth it. One never wants to impose, but he might like speaking to a devoted runner.

JoyceVT likes this.
  7. JoyceVT

Well I just sent Dr Sopher a note. He hasn't heard from me in 2 years. I hope he is doing OK. I would love to learn he is all better and out there running. And I'd love for him to convince me my shin is not injured.

8. JoyceVT

Sadly I haven't heard back from Dr Sopher so I'm assuming he is not well right now.

My shin is getting better and I hope to be running in a couple more days. I look forward to seeing the TMS doc soon!