1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need some reminders

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marytabby, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Hi friends,
    I’ve had right shin pain for over a year. Xray shows no fracture. I have patellar arthritis in that knee which also has pain for 4 years but I treat that as TMS, too, as no traditional ortho methods have helped. I know how to do the TMS work and I do it, but the stabbing pain won’t relent even though I ignore, talk to my brain, etc. Maybe I just need some reminders. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

Was just listening to a podcast about surrendering (it was based on a woman's pelvic pain podcast). Some good tips were accept that the pain is there. Surrender. Do not try to push it away. The pyschologist on the podcast was saying how she will set up a space in her mind to invite her pain to sit down with her and have a cup of tea. Is there anything in particular emotionally that could be contributing to the pain. Any stressful events in your life? Do you have fear/stress over your pain? Everyone here is so supportive and will have some good suggestions. For now I say surrender. You create so much more tension around not accepting the pain, feeling angry or sad at the pain. This is not giving up, but just surrendering.

plum likes this.
  3. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Thanks, Keenie
    The knee pain has been here 4 years starting with a new (used) car I bought that had some issues which I came to love when it all smoothed out and I still love the car. The shin pain for over a year is mostly at night for the past year plus, starting with a new job and a new-ish relationship then. I still have the job and the relationship. I am working through not expecting perfection in both cases (ie accepting the job and the man and their flaws for who and what they are, which big picture is mostly pretty darn great. My ego wants perfection, she picks apart stuff; I’m working on not “throwing the baby out with the bath water” on both).
    I like the surrender idea. So important.

4. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

I think it will really help. Part of the surrendering is trying to stop running around trying to have someone fix this for you. I totally understand the 'my ego wants perfection.' My ego is exactly the same, and well the human brain is like that. Big hugs!

plum likes this.
  5. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Yup. 4+ years has been a long time. I’ve had lots of TMS stuff over the years but they always pass. I admit I feel defeated and sad about this leg most days. Gotta work on that. I appreciate the support.

6. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

I totally understand. It is only natural to want your leg pain to go 100% away. I mean who wouldn't? We are all human and we all strive that we want to be the best possible person. The thing is even with your leg person you are still a great person. Here is a mindfulness technique that will likely bring you some short term relief. It takes time. There won't be an overnight fix but I bet it will help.

Here’s a quick example for getting some degree of relief from any affliction or unpleasant sensation, physical or emotional:

Lying or sitting in a comfortable, relaxed position, I close my eyes. I take a few deep breaths and settle quietly by focusing on my breath. After a few minutes, I bring my attention back to the pain. (Now for the tricky part.) I just observe the pain without judging it: it is neither good nor bad; it simply is. I try to identify it: is it pounding, stabbing, compressing, burning? I also take a moment to sense how it makes me feel: hurt, anguished, sad, angry, hopeless, helpless? However I feel, I don’t judge myself for feeling that way. Now back to the pain: I imagine a vast landscape with the horizon far beyond. I allow the aching to take all the space it wants. I let it expand across to the sky. I breathe in, allowing that great expansion. As I breathe out, I release my resistance to the pain.

In-breath: I allow the pain all the room it needs, out-breath: I let go of resistance. I see it. I see the pain spreading over the landscape. I feel resistance leaving my body and heart, flowing away, dissolving.

Get into your heart and let it guide you to your peaceful center. Most important of all as you experiment with this method, be kind to yourself; it may take some practice. I was pleasantly surprised to experience the peace and relief of surrendering to the unlimited possibilities of the universe.

chronic pain, a short circuit in the warning system that keeps the alarm blaring. Pain is objective. Suffering, in contrast, is the subjective sense that your experience is bad, that you’d be better off if things were different.

7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

hi there

I remember you didn’t you see dr Angelov in Swampscott ? And have you seen him since