1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

need some help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by abezz, Aug 27, 2019.

1. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

its been almost a year since ive had any back issues since my discovery of tms about a year before that.. i thought i had gotten rid of the fear.. but when i felt a sprain or pain in my lower left back the other day immediately my stomach sank, and i felt like throwing up. although it got a little better, today i felt a jolt of lightning in my lower back and i know this feeling all too well. usually the next day i can barely walk for aBout the next week. i thought i was in the clear.. i thought i had tms beat. does this happen to many of you? its hard to stay positive right now. the hardest things to deal with are relapses. its so hard thinking there will always be relapses.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Like so much about TMS, this is a very individual experience. I'm one of those people who realized that I've had TMS-equivalent symptoms since childhood, and although I have believed in the power of self-healing since I was in my 20s, I didn't discover the brilliance of TMS until I read The Divided Mind in 2011, at age 60.

I'm also one of the many people who recognizes that what we conveniently call TMS is a normal brain process, designed as a primitive survival mechanism, but unfortunately still with us in its original primitive form, and that it will come back to haunt us even if we have initial success with TMS knowledge. So I accept that I will be facing relapses and backsliding the rest of my life. That being said, the ability to think "oh, that's probably TMS" is practically automatic these days, so although I was in danger of being housebound back in 2011, I have my life back now, and TMS rarely gets me down - and never for long.

Now, with all THAT being said, I have to say that I think we are experiencing an epidemic of TMS in today's world. Combine the concerns about so many aspects of world affairs with the pressures of information overload and technology, and it's a perfect storm for stress-related conditions.

The question is: what did you do for your TMS a year ago? If you never did a program that taught you how to access your deep emotions with journaling and mindfulness, it's time to do that now - or get back to those practices right away. That's what works for most of us who have experienced success.